British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 4 killifish for sale or trade as they ended up eating most of my angelfish fry (my mistake for not being aware that killifish are known as "kill"ifish for a reason).

Anyways I am looking for a trade for WHY. Anything that can be useful for raising fry etc would be fantastic, if not any plants or aquarium related supplies etc.

I am no killifish expert so I dont know the scientific name. They look like they have some kind of spotted snakey like skin.

no pictures, its worth taking a look at them :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sound like plant spawners of some kind.... semi annuals..

I can give you a microworm culture if you want one... don't want the killifish though as i'm only intrested in annual killifish... And I just had about 70 hatch

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am interested and I have plants to trade, but before i would drive that way I would like to know what kind of killie they are, where did you get them from and what colors are they?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am interested and I have plants to trade, but before i would drive that way I would like to know what kind of killie they are, where did you get them from and what colors are they?
As I mentioned earlier, I am no killifish expert, so I have no clue what they are. I am assuming its an Aphyosemion from the body shape. It is most likely on hold for now, so I will let you know if the deal falls through. In the meantime I will see if I can find any more information online.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound like plant spawners of some kind.... semi annuals..

I can give you a microworm culture if you want one... don't want the killifish though as i'm only intrested in annual killifish... And I just had about 70 hatch
Maybe you are right. I have no clue if they are annual or semi-annual though.
Thanks for the microworm culture offer, but I wouldn't know how to sustain them long term.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Microworms are super easy....

plain raw oat meal, water and a little yeast sprinkled on the top... culture can go over a month before needing to be parted out and started again......

Perfect fry food.... Bigger than vinegar eels and don't live as long in the water only like 3 or 4 days compared to weeks....

Any pictures of the killi's?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have aphyosemium primigenium. They're very friendly little fish but they do have big mouths and I can see how they might be tempted by angelfish. They don't seem to eat their own fry, though (or else they're not good at catching them) as I have quite a few fry.

Here's a link to a photo. The female is plainer, slightly checked rather than striped.
http://www.killi.co.uk/speciesProfile/Aphyosemion/primigenium/

And here's a page of many kinds of aphyosemium:
http://sheneskillies.com/Aphyosemion/.html

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks something like this, but different colors...

http://sheneskillies.com/Aphyosemion/gabuense_bohemi.jpg

Scholz, I thought you said blood worms :D my bad...I was reading up on someone who was keeping blood worms culture and I got confused. I have a culture of microworms right now and you are certainly right. They are the best food for fry and very easy to keep :D

I actually use white bread (wet) with yeast to sustain them. It works very well :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.