British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Im back! Never got out of the hobby. Life just happened. Had kids, got very involved with my family and work. Shut down many of my tanks because I had no time for them anymore. ...
So this christmas my fam gave me a new Fluval Premium 55 Gal aquarium kit! YAY!!!
I have started a journal thread of the build. So excited. You can see in my signature I only have a couple of aquariums now. I had many many more previously. I have had so many kids since I started at 13 years old. I am now 38 lol.

My kids have their own aquariums as well.

Anyway, I hope to get to know all the new names on here and I hope to see some familiar ones. I used to be called "Skabooya" on here. All my info was lost during the big BCA change over years ago. None of it could be found, so, I had to start fresh as "mom" lol.

Happy Fish Keeping everyone! <3 And Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello "Mom"
Welcome back to the hobby.
Starting back with only one tank?
I have many pics of my daughters, only a few years old, in their wheeled walker, (outlawed now) Staring up at the community tank.
Aquariums are a never ending scene. I am glad your kids have tanks of their own.
Mine never stayed with it, although some had aquariums of their own for awhile.
They come to visit (not during covid) to stare at my tank now. lol
So what kind of fish are you putting in that 55?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome back. I remember you, I think I may have sent you some plants for your classroom aquarium a long time ago. Things have changed quite a bit here, unfortunately not much traffic and most of the sponsors have left. Still, it's a worthwhile site. (Beats Facebook)

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Welcome back, Skabooya!

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes! I remember you two! LOL Nice to see you guys still here. I can see that a lot has changed here. Definitely not the same as it used to be. Yes Tom you sent me some plants for my classroom aquarium years ago. I have moved classrooms many times since then. That tank had to be shut down. Too many water issues in the school. It has been fixed now :D YAY! We have hot water to the classrooms now and filtered water to drink! YAY!!! I now have a 20 gal in my classroom where I overwinter my pond fish for the kids to enjoy, hermit crabs (donated to me from a students family that didn't want them anymore), a bunny rabbit (basically a therapy bunny, he is soooo good to the kids), and vegetable/experiment light garden and soon to be some stick bugs. :) We also raise butterfly larvae in the spring and watch them become butterflies. They are native to our area so, we release them in our school garden. We also hatch ducks, chickens and quail in my classroom too :D Lots of fun.... very expensive but still fun and educational.
I also see seahorse_fanatic is still around too :D

I currently have 1 32gal going in the kids playroom that will be shut down soon. It has been neglected very badly because I couldn't get to it. All the "stuff" from the living room and kitchen was piled in there and other rooms for the renovation. The kids each have a 5 gal with their own betta's and female guppies.
My husband and kids got me a 55 gal aquarium as an upgrade. Many, many years ago I had a 100 gal tank. This house cant hold that amount so I had to sell it. A 55 should be safe, but we will be reinforcing the floor joists just in case.

I personally LOVE angels, but I want to go with something everyone in my fam will like. The star of the show will be Tiger Barbs. Secondary will be Odessa Barbs. Cleanup crew will be corydoras and maybe a shark to help with the algae.

I am very impatient and want to get it set up! But I have to wait for the paint to dry upstairs, and the stand to come in at the pet store. Then I have to hunt for some river stones. Its snowing, so I will have to wait until it melts OR its raining enough to wash the snow away. I also need to wait for my substrate to come in. I hate waiting LOL. I have started a journal in the journal section.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi! Another familiar name. Yay!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts