British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had many enquires regarding our main FW display. We decided to start a journal as we add the new fish.

The aquarium measures 10 feet long, 5 feet wide and 3 feet high. It is acrylic, and the material is 1" thick. We have had the aquarium for 10 years.

The total aquarium volume is roughly 1100 gallons with a 400 gallon sump. Filtration is composed of a high load rated Trickle filter and 40 watt UV sterilizer. It is lit by a single 250 watt halide with T5 supplementary lighting.
Flow is achieved by 2 x 1/2 hp in line pumps. One supplies the filter, the other is strictly for filtration.
On top of the aquarium is a surge device originally designed by Bruce Carlson of the Waikiki Aquarium. It supplies 30 gallons of water every 2 miniutes. The contents of the container is emptied in roughly 8 seconds creating a wave surge in the aquarium. Many fish tend to collect around this area for this reason.
The prefilter material is replaced every week and water changes are roughly 30% every week or two, depending on load.

Pictured below is Chris, aka sexy legs, removing the algae the best way we now how. Get in! It is rare for us to have the opportunity to have the access so we spent roughly an hour removing all those hard green calcareous algaes that are so difficult to remove by regular means.
As you can see by the photo, flow rate is quite high. You cant really appreciate it once the aquarium is full but believe me, there is a lot of movement in there.
The stumps were acquired locally from a source remaining secret as that location may incriminate me.:D

I will update as fish are added. Today we are reintroducing our FRT and we will introduce 2 Fahaka Puffers.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Chris does have sexy legs ;) lol jk..
I am soooo excited to see this new set-up!!!
How large are the fahaka's going to be??

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would make sense.. I have also heard that fahaka's cannot be kept together on TPF (The Puffer Forum) http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=151

But I'm assuming since the tank has so many gallons that it would be okay.. still excited either way :)
Exactly. Larger puffers, in particular Mbu's can be really nasty towards certain fish. I think two Fahakas in that much area will be OK. If not, Chris is going in! I plan on growing out many fish in there so I just don't want anything too big causing trouble.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It also depends on the type of fish too.. !!!
It's like cats & dogs.. they're not all the same.. same goes for fishies :D

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We added 2 Silver Datnoides, 2 Ornate Bicher and a team of Oto cats I am hoping seek refuge in the wood.:cool:
As you can see the FRT is quite settled in his usual nap spot!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
the FRT looks so much happier in there then he did the last time i saw him......

·
Registered
182 Posts
The big tank looks awesome Grant, should be interesting to see what else you put in there...:cool:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i knew you were gonna do a puffer tank as i talked to you months back and you said if you bring in your puffer i will put him in the big display tank . awesome very cool . i think as little guys they will be ok being raised and growing up with fish , i think it will lower the aggression in the fahakas

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
big fahakas and frt are gunna be mascots for sure. The fahaka in the aquarium is for sure everybody loves big puffers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts