British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just finalized that we would be moving to Kamloops in about two months . While the house is listed for the two weeks I need to put my fish somewhere - and then there's the two weeks we are finding and buying the next house and then a 4h drive . Plus setting up tanks .

My question is posed to those that have moved - what did you do with your fish ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figure that's going to be the end result . Just don't know if they'll survive 3 hours in a bag in a car - I've never had to package fish

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not that it is helpful in the least in moving your fish around, but i lived in Kamloops for 2 or 3 years (my memory is fuzzy). I liked that place. You might never understand the why of it, but it grows on a person. Best of luck out there!

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Battery-powered air pumps connected to mature sponge filters could be an option
If you use a medium size tote tub and lid with some holes for the battery air pump and a sponge filter your fish should be fine for a 3-4 hour trip. Think about the fish you get at the auction that are in bags for the best part of a day and in most cases are fine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Any moving is always a concern ... This thread is a sign of how dedicated we are as hobbyists that we spend the time considering how to move our little eco-systems when we need to.

I have not done a long move of longer than 2 hours between locals but even in these short ones I have done especially if you have the fish housed with a friend, if you can set up your tanks for a week maybe two before you move the fish it means you are not setting up tanks and re-introducing fish simultaneously ... saves a lot headaches.

It also means you can sort out equipment re-starts and fish move into cycled tanks.

You have probably thought of this but the Kamloops water will have different base parameters than here on the coast.

Good luck ... it will be worth it and I am sure Kamloops will have some other hobbyists to link up with.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The only time I have had to move with fish I moved all my tanks to my parents house about 2 weeks before I moved.
I set all the tanks up there and a week or so after I moved into the new house I moved my tanks over.
I was only moving across town though, I've never done it over a long distance.
It really helps if you can find some where to set them up temporarily before the move.
The last thing you want to do on moving day is worry about keeping fish alive.

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,253 Posts
sorry to say it but it might be best to sell and start over

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ideally, it would be nice if you could have someone "fish-sit" for the better part of the month or longer. Move the fishes to the sitter's place now and then move them again once you have settled into your new home. Most likely, this is neither convenient nor practical and probably not an option.

With potentially a month or two of juggling about, I would tend to agree with DINO: Sell the fish at this end. Move your empty equipment to the new place, setup and CYCLE the tanks, and then buy/get some new fish. Less stressful for the fish . . . and YOU. You would have less to worry about during the transition and can later re-establish your aquarium(s) when the dust settles from the move - at your convenience, rather than under pressure.

These articles give some idea as to what is involved with relocating an aquarium:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=846
http://www.firsttankguide.net/moving.php

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really only have a couple friend/family places that have enough room ! It turns it into a 4h trip since their in van/burnaby .

But I guess you're right, people ship fish in containers across continents so I guess if I had a big enough bag and made sure the temp was stable I should be fine .

The starting over was something ive pondered . It just would hurt my heart a little - it's one thing to sell fish to make room for the next project - quite another when you like the ones you got . Plus I'm not exactly sure if there will be many fish options in Kamloops so might have to figure this out anyway since I'll always be on the hunt for more fish and if I have to drive all the way back here I guess I gotta do it :)

·
Banned
797 Posts
With pure oxygen in bags your fish can stay in them for 24-72 hours easy.

You should be able to get pure oxygen from LFS, just check in advance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good ideas . Thanks everyone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts