British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

Just recently I have decided to rejoin the aquaria world after a 15 year hiatus.

Tank: Mr. Aqua MA-730 (aka "12g long rimless")
Light: BeamsWork HI LUMEN LED Light Pent 30"
Filter: Eheim 2213 canister (Classic 250)
Heater: Eheim Jager
Substrate: CaribSea Eco-Complete Plant Substrate (black)

My current plan is a low-tech iwagumi(ish) setup with a "mountain" on the left side of the tank and a "tree" on the right side. I would like some sort of carpet, which I have yet to decide on.
Inhabitants will include some sort of small schooling fish and possibly shrimp.

Here is what the current setup looks like with rocks in a temporary setup while I wait for the substrate to arrive. Light is in "moonlight" mode.

DSCF5538-exp,crop (Medium).jpg

Cheers.

Anthony

PS. Anyone know where I can find ammonia for a fishless cycle in the GVRD?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Welcome to BCA. You should be able to find ammonia at any grocery store. I've also heard of people using plant food for a fishless cycle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The proportions of that tank are very interesting. What are the measurements?
Looking forward to seeing the build.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I wasn't expecting this forum to be so active and welcoming! What a pleasant surprise. Thank you!

Does anyone have experience with starting up a new tank with EcoComplete? Also any recommendations for good (read: easy) carpeting plants in a low-tech environment?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Wow, I wasn't expecting this forum to be so active and welcoming! What a pleasant surprise. Thank you!

Does anyone have experience with starting up a new tank with EcoComplete? Also any recommendations for good (read: easy) carpeting plants in a low-tech environment?
Welcome to Bcaquaria. We are a friendly bunch :)

A lot of people on here have used eco complete. Myself included.

As for carpeting plants. There isn't very many low light carpet plants that will thrive without Co2. If there is RECKON will probably know. Fire him a PM or wait for him to chime in :)

Good luck with the tank. It looks great so far.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

welcome to BCA! :) 12G long is a very nice tank.. I used ecocomplete in our pea puffer tank with crypt parava and some hygro without CO2. They are not dead but they are not growing faster either. I even tried glosso with excel but they all melt after 2 months.

I would say it's easier to have carpet plants with CO2 but I have heard someone using java moss as a carpet plants in low tech tank.

I would use ADA soil as It's the best substrate for plants. I think it also creates ammonia spike which may help for cycling your tank.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, thanks for all the tips! You all have convinced me to try the DIY CO2 thing (at least in the beginning to get the carpet and other plants established).

I picked up some Household Ammonia (No Name brand) from Superstore. Didn't have an ingredients list but I did the shake test and there weren't any bubbles. Also read reports on the interweb where people used it with success, so I am crossing my fingers that it is OK. I started the fishless cycle last night and had to dose about 5ml to get the ammonia level up to 4ppm.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Going to ask my question to this thread since on the topic of Co2. Can those beverage tanks work for fish? $35 for a full 3lbs tank. Just wondering, because I see 5lbs tanks go for over $100.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I really only expect 2 carpet plants to do OK without CO2: Echinodorus tenellus or Marsilea spp. However, you will probably be waiting for a very long time before you get a decent carpet. A little DIY CO2, will go a long ways.

That's a great tank. I've always considered doing an Iwagumi style scape with it. Did you get it locally?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I really only expect 2 carpet plants to do OK without CO2: Echinodorus tenellus or Marsilea spp. However, you will probably be waiting for a very long time before you get a decent carpet. A little DIY CO2, will go a long ways.

That's a great tank. I've always considered doing an Iwagumi style scape with it. Did you get it locally?
Hi Reckon, thanks for the info. I'm going to go the DIY CO2 route. I found this really nice looking kit that I may give a try: D501 DIY Co2 Generator System Kit | WaterPlantStreet - (Sincere-K). Makes the DIY route look real clean.

I picked up the tank from MarineDepot (shipped to Point Roberts); all in it was about $80 USD.

Very Nice footprint -
Saw this saltwater set up before, very tempted -
3 Foot Office Nano - Mr Aqua 12 Gallon Long - Members Aquariums - Nano-Reef.com Forums
Yeah that one is amazing. Would love to get into nano reefs, but one step at a time :)

PS. There is a great 88-page thread (with tons of pictures!) dedicated to this tank on PlantedTank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
You can post a link to a thread on another forum no problem. Just keep in mind many members may not be able to access it because of site restrictions on their end.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks CRS Fan, I updated my previous post with the actual link.

Does anyone have suggestions for what kind of diffuser is good for a DIY CO2 setup?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
On Friday I drove all around GVRD and picked up some plants from Pat at Canadian Aquatics and some free java moss from rwong2k10! I'm going to tie down the java moss on some rocks and wood, but for now it's just floating there. The non-floating plants that I got from Pat went into my Fluval Flora temporarily while I wait for substrate.

DSCF5542 (Medium).jpg

I got tired of waiting for my tank to cycle doing the fishless method so I caved and bought some SeaChem Stability from J&L Aquatics, some EcoComplete from King Ed Pets. Also picked up 8 harlequin rasboras and 6 blue king tetras, also from King Ed Pets.

First I added the EcoComplete to my tank (I know, I'm doing everything backwards.. don't ask) and did a bit of scaping. Threw in some Stability, along with the fish. The rock on the right I found in my yard and wrapped in java moss (secured with a high tech 3lb onion bag). Here's a current pic:

DSCF5588 (Medium).jpg

And just for fun, here's my Fluval Flora setup:

DSCF5586 (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kinda got lazy and didn't update this thread. Since the last post I had a bit of an algae problem (especially with the moss rock on the right which got completely overrun with algae). I decided to take it out and rescape a bit. Added some more Ecocomplete to bank the corners and a nice curved branch that I found in my backyard. Attached some java moss to the branch with cotton thread. Also have a piece of manzanita in there that I bought from Dr Fosters online. Don't really like it that much though.

Had some blue king tetra in there which were harassing the rasboras. Moved them out to a separate tank and everyone seems to be much happier!

DSCF5904-wb,edit (Medium).jpg

Still not super happy with it. Too much clutter. Need to reorganize the plants and get rid of that ugly heater in the back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great looking tank! How are you liking your beamswork? I love mine and get great growth with diy co2. With the light so close to rhe substrate like that, I would almost consider your tank high light.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 58 Posts