British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... new to this site, and just getting back into an old hobby. Things have changed much in the past 20 years since I had a tank.

I bought a 10gal for my daughter's first birthday in Feb. Community tank with 3 neons, 2 z.danios, 2 black fin tetra, 1 swordtail, 1 spotted pleco, 1 s&p cat. There are also 2 goldfish and 1 chinese algae eater that need to go.

The tank has run well and been clean since setup, but i went on vacation and left one of those 3 day feeder release tablets in the tank. When i got back the water was very green and murky. I gave it a full gravel vacuum and 100% water change, filter change, and it was crystal-clear for a week, but now it has returned to the murky green.

Any advice/comments appreciated.

Also, does anyone want a FREE Chinese Algae Eater? about 2" long, and also 2 FREE beautiful Shubunkin Goldfish (they have outgrown the tank) for pickup in East Van, near Burnaby.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Sure, I would like the fish.

For the algae problem, is the tank getting any direct sunlight? If it is, then unless you install a UV sterilizer, you'll always have algae.

Anthony 604-868-5553

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just posted in classifieds, but you get first dibs. pickup in vancouver ok?

·
Registered
496 Posts
What are your water stats? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Green water is usually caused by both excess of sunlight and excess of 'nutrients'.

If you haven't got a test kit I would swing out and pick up an API Freshwater Master Test Kit (liquid, NOT strips) and see where your water parameters are at. Doing a 100% water change along with a gravel vac & filter change can remove all the nitrifying bacteria from the tank, causing an ammonia spike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The tank is a little negatively stocked. Removing the goldfish and the algae eater is a great start, however the feeder block has most likey caused the cloudy problem. Honestly if your aquarium and fish are healthy don't worry about going away for 3-7 days and not feeding your fish. they will not even lose weight. If that idea bothers you, buy an automatic fish food dispenser. Seriously, stay away from those weekend feeder blocks, they cloud tanks, kill fish and fish don't eat them either.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good idea... it has been sunny before, but the murky green water didn't appear until after the feeder tab.

I've just upgraded to a 33gal with some live plants, so lots more room for the fish if its a bio-issue. If the murky green comes back, I'll go get a UV Sterilizer. What make/model would be recommended for a 33gal?

·
Registered
259 Posts
good idea... it has been sunny before, but the murky green water didn't appear until after the feeder tab.

I've just upgraded to a 33gal with some live plants, so lots more room for the fish if its a bio-issue. If the murky green comes back, I'll go get a UV Sterilizer. What make/model would be recommended for a 33gal?
Something to consider is that you have a pleco in your tank that can reach an excess of 12". The Salt and Pepper cats also like being in groups so it would be beneficial to their health to have 5 or more together. The other small fish you have are also schooling fish. I have seen them live very harmoniously in small numbers though.

I have a 26G planted tank running and although it is very balanced and seems to get little to no algae, I run a glass cleaner over it once a week just before a water change of roughly 8G. I now test the water once a month but when I initially started it I tested every few days. The challenges you might encounter are finding a balance between lighting, quantity/type of plants, and nutrients in the water.

Keep the forum posted on what you are using and when and there is a wealth of people here that can give you some pointers :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Agreed with Sophie.... a UV sterilizer is somewhat of a 'band-aid' solution which will cut the murkiness but not the unerlying (and potentially dangerous) cause ie high nitrates, etc.

Testing your water should be the FIRST order of business... any solution is just a guess unless you know your water stats which will 90% of the time reveal the root of any problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts