British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 58 Gallon African Cichlid Tank. I have over 10 species from both Lake Tanganyika and Lake Malawi peacefully living together. I raised half of the fishes in this tank from less than 2".

Tank Setup:
- Oceanic 58 Gallon Tank with iron stand
- 2 x Aquaclear 110 HOB filters
- 1 x Fluval 205 canister filter
- Black and white mix fine sand
- Crushed corals for higher PH
- Coralife 36" T5 light fixture

Thanks for checking out my thread and enjoy the pictures.

:: Male Red Empress (Malawi) ::

:: Blue Moorii (Malawi) ::

:: Aulonocara Chizumulu Peacock (Malawi) ::

:: Yellowfin Copadichromis Borleyi (Malawi) ::

:: Fossorochromis Rostratus (Malawi) ::

:: Pseudotropheus Acei (Malawi) ::

:: Burundi Frontosa (Tanganyika) ::

:: Compressiceps (Tanganyika) ::

:: Calvus (Tanganyika) ::

:: Neolamprologus Leleupi (Tanganyika) ::

:: Tropheus Chipimbi (Tanganyika) ::

:: Tropheus Maswa (Tanganyika) ::

Not Pictured
- Neolamprologus brichardi, Fairy Cichlid (Tanganyika)
- Labidochromis caeruleus, Yellow Lab (Malawi)
- Female and juvenile Red Empresses
- Female Peacocks

·
Registered
491 Posts
very nice set up, this is why I like africans, the range of color is amazing. is this tank not crowded tho? thats alot of fish for a 58 gal.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yes, it is a little crowded, however, it helps to reduce aggressiveness. I may need to get a 75 or a 90 gallon in a few months when the fishes grow larger. Cheers!

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's a great mix of colours! I've been contemplating wether or not I should mix lake species. Can male peacocks be kept alone? What is your routine for feeding?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have five Aulonocara Chizumulu Peacocks from the same batch, 2 males and 3 females. I raised them from 1cm. I have seen people have male only tanks with various types of peacocks. However, a mix of male and female from different species would not be a good idea, since they will cross breed. I feed them twice a day, morning and evening, primarily with NLS and occasionally frozen blood worm.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Nice tank. Love the colour in your tank :D.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this. But just the amount of frontosa in there, you should consider a 6' tank.

Although you don't have much problem now; your fish is still young, but you most likely will run into problem as they mature with the mixture of fish in there.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this. But just the amount of frontosa in there, you should consider a 6' tank.

Although you don't have much problem now; your fish is still young, but you most likely will run into problem as they mature with the mixture of fish in there.
yea fronts get big, usually full grown ones (that ive seen) are in 100-180 gallon tanks

this setup looks really nice for now tho :p

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that is my concern too. Since Frontosas don't grow that fast, I guess they are fine in this tank for now. Future plan will be a 6' tank for sure.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just wondering how the frontosas are doing in feeding time. They are slower swimmers than the malawis in competing for food.

However, they can grow up to 5-6" in the first year. Time for a 6 footer on boxing day.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Love all those colours....I miss my African setups. What you have probably works for now, you can just thin out the stock as the fish mature.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wondering how the frontosas are doing in feeding time. They are slower swimmers than the malawis in competing for food.

However, they can grow up to 5-6" in the first year. Time for a 6 footer on boxing day.
Well, most of my frontosas do compete for food with the Malawis. I guess they adatped to a new behavior in my tank.

·
Registered
479 Posts
very nice mix you have, makes me think i need to get a couple more malawi's for my 120G set up. and better lighting, your light brings out the colors well with the black backround

·
Registered
491 Posts
to avoid over crowding, I have my malawis in 3 different tanks. one of the fish is a tang ( brichardi ) but the rest are malwai's. For the most part I think malawis are the nicer of the africans, These sweet electric blues I have are amazing.

Next May ish, they will all be going into my 90, when the wife and i have the space to set it up. It is sad to see a perfectly good 90 gallon tank sitting dry.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Added a few shots from my baby tanks

:: My 40 Gallon Baby Tank ::

:: Neolamprologus Brichardi (Tanganyika) ::

:: Labidochromis Caeruleus (Malawi) ::

:: Neolamprologus Leleupi (Tanganyika) ::

:: Labeotropheus Trewavasae (Malawi) ::

:: Red Empress (Malawi) ::

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
to avoid over crowding, I have my malawis in 3 different tanks. one of the fish is a tang ( brichardi ) but the rest are malwai's. For the most part I think malawis are the nicer of the africans, These sweet electric blues I have are amazing.

Next May ish, they will all be going into my 90, when the wife and i have the space to set it up. It is sad to see a perfectly good 90 gallon tank sitting dry.
i think most people (myself included) are at first attracted to the colorful malawi's and then end up moving to the tang/vic species like fronts and tropheus later on in the hobby.

i also love the looks of the calvus/compriceps, its going to be hard to decide stock when i finally get a bigger tank but im leaning towards tropheus.
that tropheus maswa looks great with his blue head :p
do you find them to be the most aggressive in the tank??

whats displaying the most dominance at this point?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts