British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out of the hobby for 3 years now as i was living some were that didnt allow pets at all. Prior to that i had a 210 gallon and 135 gallon tank. I have now bought a townhouse and can have aquarium again! This last Christmas since i knew i was moving even though i hadnt told my family yet( christmas surprise ) i requested a aquarium for Christmas. This is what i was given and am super excited to set it up. Its a 65 gallon aqueon tank and stand that had a led light. I felt the stand was not sturdy enough and so i changed a few things with it. The led light that it came with was traded for a circulation pump and i purchased a new led light that i felt would suit my needs better. For filtration i purchased a used eheim 2078 and a hydro inline heater. I still have few thing to do to the stand to finish it off like sanding, filler and paint before filling the tank with water.
My plans are to do a planted community tank with hopes to some how afford a co2 setup.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the base has been painted and am going to try and finish the canopy tomorrow. Not sure if i should paint the inside of the canopy or not. On another note i should have water in the tank by next weekend to start cycling tank and media.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The back was fully open and has been covered with 3/4 hardwood. Added a bigger and thicker center brace between the doors and also added metal support brackets on the inside of the stand. The original stand was held together with only 9 screws and a few dowels there is now about 50 screws half a tube of liquid nail holding it together. The trim around the aquarium is just aesthetics.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More work done today. Brought tank down from my closet and Frosted the back of the tank. I made a trip to my lfs to try and find suction cup holders for my filter stuff and was unsuccessful. Going to do more painting tonight on the doors and canopy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice work! That stand looks pretty slick now that it's painted. I will be interested to see what you choose for plant and fish species. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work! That stand looks pretty slick now that it's painted. I will be interested to see what you choose for plant and fish species. :)
Thanks. The plants will be what my friend has in his tank. I am ordering pool sand today for the substrate cause its cheap for now. As for stocking the tank looking at getting a large school of cardinal tetras. The hard scape might take a bit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tank is now currently running with a bare bottom for now. Will be doing a water change in the next day or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Yeah it depends on the lighting. I swear im not repainting it before every picture.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Todays update. The led lights came in for the night light, also connected the smart sockets and programmed the timers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Figured id post a price break down of the setup so far. I will update as new things come up.
Aquarium, stand and led light was $340( was a Christmas gift but thought id put it out there what the cost was)
Led light was traded for circulation pump
New led purchased from ebay $56
Eheim 2078 filter and hydor inline heater purchased used from bca member $190
Led light strip for night light $24
Smart outlets used for timers $28
Paint for stand $23
Pool sand 100lbs $20
Suction cups for filter system $13

So far the grand total is $694

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my sand and stones today but also had to get a bunch of ikea cabinets. So i have spent most of my weekend assembling that stuff instead of doing aquarium items.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got my sand and stones today but also had to get a bunch of ikea cabinets. So i have spent most of my weekend assembling that stuff instead of doing aquarium items.

where did you get your sand from??

·
Registered
560 Posts
That sand is brown, or white? Looks white in the first pic, and brown in the second. The pool place by me, has only brown filter sand. :(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts