British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Picked up some flourite clay today to use as a base under the sand. Along with that picked up some fertilizer. I started cleaning the flourite tonight and plan to do a bunch of stuff with the tank once im home from work tomorrow. My friend is getting some trimmings for me to plant aswell so hopefully big changes over the weekend.

Add to the bill
Flourite 24.99 a bag x2
Dragon stone 13lbs or so $47

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
After a bunch of work this is were ive left off for the night. The flourite made about a half inch layer across the bottom of the tank. Then went to adding the sand in. Brought that up to just over the black trim then started placing the stones. Was hoping to get more stone but when i went back to the store they were out. Once the stone was set about were i think i can be happy with it for a bit added the rest of the sand. Then did a 60% water change only cause im doing them by hand with 3 gallon buckets. Tomorrow hopefully will be adding some plants and maybe a few fish.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
I would definitely uncover your Anubias and the Bolbitis (otherwise the rhizome will rot and the plants will die). I would also attach them to the dragon stone or to some driftwood using thread, fishing line, or super glue.

JM2C

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
About a week later and all seems to be happy so far! I had bought bug bite pellets at first for food but the fish didnt like it so ended up getting some flake food.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
It looks like you have some staghorn and possibly BBA growing on the outer edges of some Anubias leaves. I would highly suggest removing these leaves as not to propagate more algae. It looks WAY better.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks! The algae was from my friends tank. Ive noticed some new growth since everything has been planted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Keep coming home to floating plants so gotta figure out how to keep them down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Trimmed a few plants back and also noticed a bunch of new growth. Notice yesterday One of my fish has ich so been treating for that. Bc hydro has a planned power outage on april 12th kinda hoping all works out good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Gave the tank some love today. Added a few new plants. Ive trimmed and replanted a few other plants that were already in the tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks guys! For it being my first planted tank im pleased with it so far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like a solid community of fish. I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I believe the plant in centre bottom of your second pic in the last post is an Anubias (looks like A lanceolata maybe); if it is an Anubias, the rhizome should be above the substrate, otherwise it will waste away. People typically fasten them to rocks or driftwood with thread, rubber band, superglue, etc., but you could also just plant the roots in the substrate with the rhizome above. In the pic below, the red is the rhizome and the blue is the roots. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Small update some things have been moved around for ease. Also a few plants didnt do so great. I have also added a few assassin snails after issues with tons of snails everywhere. I know theres bha but have tried many time to get rid of it which is what led to some plants leaving and its still in there.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts