British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pair of breeding Alenquer discus from April a few days ago. The brighter orange one is the female, and the discus with the blue pattern on its head is the male. Extremely excited, wish me luck! :)

Hope you guys enjoy these pics, finally able to get some good photos, as the discus are better adjusted in their new home and have taken to begging for food :)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
nice fishies. lol. are they showing any love signs yet? twitching..looking at the cone..shaking..bowing ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not that I've noticed, they seem to be getting used to each other. They're noticeably happier with their tank than they were earlier - I swear, they beg for food 24/7 :) Especially the female. Utter pig :)

congrats! beautiful discus. Its fun to watch them go through the process of breeding, waiting to see if mine will attach this time, will know in a day or 2.
Thanks! I'm having fun already. Got any pics of your prospective pair?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nice pair !!!! Harry

Just keep doing daily W/C & good filtration. When you see anyone of them starts cleaning the cone surface and the other follows, you know they are preparing for egg laying.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hi Harry:

What size tank are they in? I can see a divider in a couple of shots. Are there fish on the other size of it? They may be distracting the discus.
I know with mine they are distracted by EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi Harry:

What size tank are they in? I can see a divider in a couple of shots. Are there fish on the other size of it? They may be distracting the discus.
I know with mine they are distracted by EVERYTHING!
I agreed. Unless the pairs are experienced, otherwise newly pairs are easily distracted from other activities.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, the divider is to block the WC - it makes the whole thing less violent. I don't have a hose, so I have to carry buckets and pour it down VERY carefully.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Actually, the divider is to block the WC - it makes the whole thing less violent. I don't have a hose, so I have to carry buckets and pour it down VERY carefully.
You carry buckets of water to change a 29 gallon tank to do daily water changes? - Ouch, thats got to hurt

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thanks! I'm having fun already. Got any pics of your prospective pair?
I do have pics just have to find them in my files. Right now they are in there own 29 gallon, still waiting to see what happens with this batch as this is the first time they are on their own, in their own tank. They were in a community tank before. Much less stress this time, not only for the pair, but for the main tank discus as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately not yet. Doing daily WC's and they're both eating very well, begging for food, so it should be a matter of time! Will keep you guys posted :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Good looking pair of discuss you got there. And good luck on your breeding :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts