British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

So after several long conversations with Morainy and stalking various threads at different forums I fell in love with the new Fluval Ebi tank and had to have one.

I have never had a tank larger than 5 gallons because of a lack of room. The cube shape and small size was perfect for placing it on my dresser next to the computer. Nice break from the screen.

It's only been running for a week and this is my first tank journal :) so I'm not sure what I am suppose to post, but here goes...

SETUP

Fluval Ebi 7.9 gallon tank
Fluval Shrimp Stratum
Fluval Flora Stratum
Fluval Nano Filter
Fluval Edge 25 W heater

PLANTS
Cabomba
Windelov
Java Fern (not sure which species)
Marimo Moss Balls
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Rosaefolia'

DECOR
Garden Stones
Coconut Hut
Manzanita Branch

DOSING
Flourish Excel
Flourish

Let me know what you think :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Let me know what you think :)
Well, I think it would be great to see some pics! :D

Sounds like a really nice tank.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos Photos

First week of Planting. I wasn't sure Cabomba was going to do well in this tank. I don't believe the light is strong enough. I love the how full and fluffy it is, but that is also it's downfall in a small tank I think.

Excuse the cloudiness.

Trimmed the Cabomba down. As expected the bottoms feel apart and just made a mess. I think I might have to remove it soon.

Added the ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII 'ROSAEFOLIA'. I have always loved this plant and wanted one, but wasn't sure what I needed for it to stay alive. Got this from Aquaflora and it was labeled "easy" so I wanted to try it. I also wanted the tank to have some colour other than green. Tips on it's care would be appreciated!

Coconut Hut. My Betta will love going in there once I add him :)

---------

TROUBLES...

Unfortunately, I don't know if I am just super sensitive to sounds, but the filter keeps me awake at night. I can hear it hum constantly and can't get it to stop nor do I know if it is suppose to do that. I am thinking of running the Ebi without the filter and just doing regular weekly water changes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for a twisty branch of some sort to stick in the back.

Thinking about adding some Duckweed at the top. Still debating on this though.

Possibly going to replace the Cabomba with larger Java Fern.

I might be adding a few fish over the weekend, but not sure with the filter situation and lack of oxygenation. I have been using Seachem Stability for cycling. One of my Bettas is going in for sure when things settle down.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Very nice. If you're looking for a surface plant, you might want to consider water lettuce. A lot nicer than duckweed IMO.

As to the noise, I'm also a bit of a noise freak and I have found that it's often vibrations between the filter and nearby structures that create the problem, as opposed to filter noise per se. And it often helps to try to isolate the cause of the vibration and stick pieces of soft material to dampen it (cloth, foam, whatever). I don't know the ebi though so none of this might be relevant to you..

Great job on the scape here. And I don't know how you've managed to make the hole in the coconut shell so regular. Mine are all crooked and irregular. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. If you're looking for a surface plant, you might want to consider water lettuce. A lot nicer than duckweed IMO.

As to the noise, I'm also a bit of a noise freak and I have found that it's often vibrations between the filter and nearby structures that create the problem, as opposed to filter noise per se. And it often helps to try to isolate the cause of the vibration and stick pieces of soft material to dampen it (cloth, foam, whatever). I don't know the ebi though so none of this might be relevant to you..

Great job on the scape here. And I don't know how you've managed to make the hole in the coconut shell so regular. Mine are all crooked and irregular. :rolleyes:
I would love to add some water lettuce, but I haven't had a chance to locate any yet.

I tried everything with the filter. Moved it, opened and cleaned it, switched the flow rate, checked all around it. It drives me nuts because I can't keep it on. Thanks for the tips though. I really do think the noise is internal though.

Do you mean the hole in the front or at the top? I purchased it that way ;p I think I sanded it down a bit though.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I would love to add some water lettuce, but I haven't had a chance to locate any yet.

I tried everything with the filter. Moved it, opened and cleaned it, switched the flow rate, checked all around it. It drives me nuts because I can't keep it on. Thanks for the tips though. I really do think the noise is internal though.

Do you mean the hole in the front or at the top? I purchased it that way ;p I think I sanded it down a bit though.
PM sent about a source of water lettuce.

Yes, the noise sometimes is internal, and that is a bummer. I hope you can fix it somehow.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PM sent about a source of water lettuce.

Yes, the noise sometimes is internal, and that is a bummer. I hope you can fix it somehow.
Thanks for the source :)

The problem is I don't know what is wrong with it. I might try the impeller again.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
If you're worried about your plant getting enough light I wouldn't personally add surface plants.

That ROSAEFOLIA will do great, I love its underside of the leaves, such a beautiful colour.

·
Registered
399 Posts
How's the cabomba doing? If you want something fluffly and full, have you considered moss? The xmas moss in my EBI is doing very well.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're worried about your plant getting enough light I wouldn't personally add surface plants.

That ROSAEFOLIA will do great, I love its underside of the leaves, such a beautiful colour.
That is a good point. Duckweed is small enough if I can keep it under control or maybe another light?

I love the colour of the Rosaefolia. I hear it needs extra Iron though. Don't know if I have enough nutrients for it.

How's the cabomba doing? If you want something fluffly and full, have you considered moss? The xmas moss in my EBI is doing very well.
I don't think it's going to last. The tops are nice and fluffy, but the bottoms are dying. I don't think it gets enough light. I will keep it in for a little longer and see. I chose it because I wanted something to fill out the background to hide filters and such.

I assume Xmas moss has to be anchored to driftwood?

Also thinking maybe Wisteria instead?

·
Registered
399 Posts
xmas moss does have to be anchored down. Wisteria should work also.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I officially HATE Cabomba!!! I decided to do a water change today and has a I had feared, all the bottoms of the Cabomba came apart and the entire tank became a swirling vortex of decay. It was a mess.

Also mildly annoyed with duckweed all over my hand.

I will be off to the store from some new plants tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So after the Cabomba disaster I decided to replace the background plants with Bacopa. Not sure which species it is, but Aquariums West had some nice tall ones.

Moved an anubias and Java fern from my other tank to this one.

The rosaefolia is starting to grow taller. I might move it farther back soon.

Also, added 5 Galaxy Rasboras. I love these guys. They really look mini trout. I've noticed they are very shy, excellent hiders and a lot more active in the evening. Also very messy eaters. They are slowly becoming more confident especially after I added a few more.

Added 3 Cherry Shrimp mainly to act as a cleanup crew for the messy galaxies. Never had shrimp before and I am surprised at how active they are. In the store they didn't move in the tank at all. Mine are actively swimming around and exploring the tank. They don't sit still ever. I don't know if that is good or not.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It looks awesome and I especially love the coconut hut, what a great idea.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New Additions and Plant situation.

The Reineckii seems to be losing a lot of leaves lately. Anyone have any idea why it might be? I dose excel, flourish as well as iron. I think it might be a lighting issue. Also noticed the leaves are curling at the tips and also on the sides. The bacopa is growing nicely though. It has already grown pass the spray bar since this photo was taken last week. Can't wait for it to reach the surface.

Looking for something to fill in the middle gap section. More bacopa? or perhaps some ludwigia.

Added a Scarlet Badis a week ago. He doesn't seem to eat any prepared foods at all. He looks a bit thin, but is very curious and active still. Not sure what I am going to do. He may be eating the shrimplets for now. Love this fish! Also looking for a female.

Cherries hatched a week ago. So far I haven't really seen any in the last 2 days. I think they didn't survive my water changes or the dario.

Added 2 Tiger Shrimps today. Love the patterns on these. One is more of a red tone and the other blue. As soon as the camera came out both of them swam to the marimo ball to pose, but that only last a second.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts