British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just spotted some endler babies in my 8 gallon rimless! (This is the tank that I got from Corwin/Munster).

I have heard that endlers have many babies, but I've only had these endlers for 3 weeks or so and I'm pretty thrilled to see fry in the tank. T:)hey are very sweet.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Congrats Maureen. Great news. Endlers are less prolific than guppies IME. But it's great when develop their colours. Have fun with them! :)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone! They are SO cute! I've never seen endler babies before. Do you think that the cherry shrimp in their tank might eat them? I notice that the cherry shrimp are pretty active, climbing around in the water lettuce where the babies are hanging out. I can move the babies to another tank (if I can somehow catch them).

What do you think? It doesn't look like the parents are interested in eating them. The babies are biggish for their little endler mouths.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I have cherry's in with my betta fry. And chances are your live born fry are more developed than the betta's were. Cherry's aren't predators. I freaked out at first too but them I thought to myself that shrimp aren't predators they are scavengers. I've then watched the fry and shrimp live in peace side by side. Till the fry get big enough to eat the shrimp.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Scholz! That's a relief. I don't know anything about shrimp.

Do you think that the fry might get big enough to eat the shrimp? Have I created a fry-eat-shrimp world?

The endler fry are very big compared to killifish fry in the next tank over.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yes, I second Scholz on this. I had both Endler and guppy fry with 2 inches long Amanos, and no problems whatsoever. I think the shrimps couldn't catch them even if they wanted to. But they likely don't want to anyway.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have only once seen a momma endler eat one baby, probably by mistake. Other than that they are never known to eat their fry, which is what makes them so prolific as opposed to guppies or other livebearers. If you want to be safe, provide some floating plants so the fry can hide in the roots (I find they like to hang around the surface til they get bigger)but I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
LOL no i don't think you need to worry about those endlers eating any shrimp! : ) My female betta is a juvenile shrimp eating machine! I've got to move her into a bowl!

Thank you, Scholz! That's a relief. I don't know anything about shrimp.

Do you think that the fry might get big enough to eat the shrimp? Have I created a fry-eat-shrimp world?

The endler fry are very big compared to killifish fry in the next tank over.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh, that's very good news. Thanks, Franck, Scholz, and Kelly528. I will just let them be. Kelly528, fortunately the tank is already almost completely covered by water lettuce. That plant multiplies like duckweed! I might have to take some of the water lettuce out just to make a space for the food...

·
Super Moderator
5,275 Posts
Hello Maureen.

Congrats!

My experience with fry and shrimp wasn't so promising. I got a plant from a LFS and a bunch of rainbow fish hatched out from the plant. I had CRS and cherries in that tank. My shrimp would hang upside down from the floating salvinia and pick off the tiny fry. Only one survived and I was able to raise it to adulthood. Shrimp are typically omnivorous in the wild, and if given the oppurtunity, will adopt the easiest feeding method.

Endler fry should be OK. Just make sure that your filter intake is shrimp safe. You are welcome to have a pieceof Poret Foam from me if you like.

Warm Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Stuart,

That's a bit alarming -- because the cherry shrimp have moved up into the water lettuce and are hanging around upside down there, right where the endler fry seem to like to hang out. They are quite pretty there, but I should keep an eye on them.

I think that I could move the fry into another tank more easily than I could move the shrimp (I'm afraid of damaging their fragile legs) but I wonder if a move would stress them?

My filter is shrimp safe because I scavenged the foam end off of a sponge filter that Roli gave me awhile ago, so at this time I don't need the poret foam for protection on the intake tube in that particular tank. (I'd still like to come by for a piece of foam one day for my Liberty filter, though; the version that I got came with a biofilter and charcoal but not the optional foam insert and it's hard to find locally.)

I've put some algae wafer into the tank and so I hope that the shrimp find munching on wafers to be the easiest method. :)

Hello Maureen.

Congrats!

My experience with fry and shrimp wasn't so promising. I got a plant from a LFS and a bunch of rainbow fish hatched out from the plant. I had CRS and cherries in that tank. My shrimp would hang upside down from the floating salvinia and pick off the tiny fry. Only one survived and I was able to raise it to adulthood. Shrimp are typically omnivorous in the wild, and if given the oppurtunity, will adopt the easiest feeding method.

Endler fry should be OK. Just make sure that your filter intake is shrimp safe. You are welcome to have a pieceof Poret Foam from me if you like.

Warm Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, they are cute, Li$A. I owe my new baby endlers and baby killifish entirely to my membership in BCA, as BCA has caused me to vastly increase the numbers of fish and tanks I keep!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Congrats, they obviously like their new home you have provided! They are probably hiding in the plants tehy are so small that young.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
+1 for the fry being alright. I got some cherries from 2wheelsx2 and got a bonus of one baby endler in the mix. He is in a 10 gallon with cherries and amanos and was so small he was almost invisible when I noticed him. He is still there, now about 4 times the size and not once have the shrimp paid any attention to him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts