British Columbia Aquariums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've driven fish back across the border as well. To be safe you should always declare and have the appropriate paper work filled out whether or not they want to see it. I'd say most of the times, from my own experience they just ask you to pay taxes if you are over your limit and that's it. When coming in through air you have to deal with the formal customs clearance process as described above.

Sent from my gigantic Samsung Note 2

·
Registered
173 Posts
Say it came from transhipper and that transhipper is getting fish overseas. I dont have record of how much i bought the fish for. They were bought with paypal. How do u suggest? Im picking them up across border to avoid delays. So i dont want them to quarantine the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Say it came from transhipper and that transhipper is getting fish overseas. I dont have record of how much i bought the fish for. They were bought with paypal. How do u suggest? Im picking them up across border to avoid delays. So i dont want them to quarantine the fish.

If you paid by paypal, then you know.

Sent from my LT30a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If you show them the paypal receipt, that should be sufficient. I've bought tons of stuff online that I've brought back over the border without issue. If, and this is a big if, CBSA/CFIA wishes to quarantine your fish, they have every right to do so. All you can do is to ensure you have all your paperwork in place in case you need it. The reality of it is unless you have a massive dollar quantity, they don't normally bat an eye. Once you break a few thousand dollars, they start to get curious as to whether or not the fish are for personal use. Once they consider it a commercial venture, there's permits and other things you have to consider. My biggest concern is the same as yours in that they may QT or simply delay you getting your fish home and the fish won't survive.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi. This thread hasn't gotten any posts in a year and I was wondering if anyone has any other RECENT experiences they can share? Specifically anyone have experiences DRIVING across the border with fish with or without a permit. I read all the posts as well as another thread on here and my head is spinning.

I was planning on picking up some fancy goldfish at a FedEx/UPS office in Seattle on a future trip, but now I hear a permit and vet check is involved after speaking with April. I spoke to the American breeder and she said her last Canadian customer was this last December 2014 and he crossed back into Canada with no problems without a permit. She didn't even realize the laws had changed. She was still advertising that it was possible to bring her goldfish across the border until I mentioned it. Was this one guy just lucky? Is it sorta hit and miss with who you get at the border and does it differ in certain Provinces?

What if I went to a Petco in the states and wanted to bring back a Betta? Do I need a permit for that as well?

This is all for curiousity sakes. I've pretty much given up all hope of bringing back anything based on what I've read. Just thought that it was odd someone made it through just a few months ago when it seems the permit requirement has been around for a year now?

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you look at the susceptible species list you'll see that "Carassius auratus" aka goldfish are on the list. In order to bring them back, you would technically need a permit. I'm not sure how hard a permit is to get, but if you really want certain fish it could be worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It's
Luck of the draw on which agent and how much they want to adhere to the rules.
Bettas are not on the list.
No vet now but Heslth certificate and country of origin .

Sent by tapatalk in north Burnaby

·
Registered
718 Posts
As long as the fish are for your own tanks and not for resale then the following applies.

192. (1) Despite section 191, an aquatic animal listed in Schedule III may be imported WITHOUT A PERMIT for use as a pet if

(a) the aquatic animal is a member of one of the following species, namely, Barbonymus gonionotus, Carassius auratus, Colisa lalia, Danio rerio, Glossogobius giuris, Osphronemus goramy, Oxyeleotris marmorata, Poecilia reticulata, Puntius sophore, Symphysodon discus, Toxotes chatareus, Trichogaster pectoralis or Trichogaster trichopterus;

(b) the aquatic animal has not been taken to a show or display outside Canada;

(c) the aquatic animal is imported by its owner;

(d) the aquatic animal is accompanied or picked up by its owner at the point of entry into Canada; and

(e) the owner presents proof of the owner's identity and his or her ownership of the aquatic animal to the inspector.

(2) An aquatic animal imported under subsection (1) shall be kept in an aquarium in the household of its owner, and the owner shall not, for the year following the importation, expose it to any aquatic animals other than those kept in the household.

(3) The owner of an aquatic animal imported under subsection (1) shall not, in the period of 90 days after the importation, import another aquatic animal under that subsection.

(4) The owner of an aquatic animal imported under subsection (1) shall keep the records of the importation, including the documents required under paragraph (1)(e).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You will note that there are no limits set as to the allowable number of animals, however, this is not meant to be a loophole for a commercial operator
to bring in fish without a permit, as they have to sign a declaration, stating the fish will not be sold for at least one year after importation and that the importer will not import other pet aquatic animals for at least 90 days. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/DAM/DAM-animals-animaux/STAGING/text-texte/c5685_1337093551531_eng.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know if it was posted, but this is a good website that lists (or THE website) that lists what you need if anything for importing well anything that is regulated by CFIA. Input all the information it lists what you need.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I suggest anyone contemplating importing any fish look up CFIA's AIRS. You can go species, location and use specific to your case. For personal use as an example of ornamental goldfish from thailand, all that's required is the following:

"When importing pet aquatic animals, the owner is required to complete and provide the Importer's Declaration of Ownership for Pet Aquatic Animals Form at the point of entry. This form can be found at: Forms Catalogue - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

For more information on Pet Aquatic Animal Exemptions, please refer to : http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/imports/aquatic-animals/eng/1331906471842/1331908089467"

41 - 51 of 51 Posts