British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well... now I can honestly say I officially have MTS again. I recently purchased a used Flora to set up specifically as a shrimp tank for my Blue Wizard Neos.

I have set it up with some rarer Crypts:

Cryptocoryne Affinis 'Red', 'Metallic Red', and 'Jerantut'
Cryptocoryne nurii 'taman negara'
Anubias nana 'Pinto'
Ludwigia sphaerocarpa
Barclaya longifolia

I am currently waiting for the tank to cycle using ADA Amazonia as a substrate. I originally was using the stock 13W CFL (not sufficient light for my liking), but it is now currently being lit by 2-12" Vertex Illumilux fixtures. One is a Dolce Rosso and the other is a Dolce Sole.

I currently am not using pressurized CO2 to help keep the parameters more stable in this tank. As usual, I am using Seachem Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer as buffers. I am adding Metricide 14 as a liquid carbon source.

I originally hardscaped with Dragon Stone but switched it out for Koke Stone as of today.

Now a couple pics of the tanks progress over the last week.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looking good! Will be awesome to see it covered with blue shrimps =). Just wondering - what are those 2 small plants up front with the tiny leaves? Do they stay at that size permanently?
They are Cryptocoryne plantlets. I suspect Nurii (but they may be 'Jerantut').

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
188 Posts
just wondering, do you put dividers in the substrate so the gravel doesn't flatten out over time? or is it more or less okay with the rocks you have in there?

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
just wondering, do you put dividers in the substrate so the gravel doesn't flatten out over time? or is it more or less okay with the rocks you have in there?
There are some hidden rocks that help keep the substrate on the slope.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good evening all.

Another update from my newest tank progress. My ammonia is still very high (6-8 PPM using my API test kit). My PH slides back to around 6 a few days after a 50% watercharge. Using Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer, I'm able to keep the GH around 4-5, but my KH and PH are still being buffered down heavily by the Amazonia.

I'm hoping to get some shrimp into the tank within a 2-3 week timeline, but I'll have to wait and see.

Here are some new pictures from tonight.

Thank you for looking.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tank is slowly growing in now and I've added a few more plants to my scape.

I've added Sagittaria subulata (thanks Drew) and Mini Pellia (thanks Matt). Both of these plants can do well without CO2 and the Pellia was taken from a non-CO2 tank.

The Crypts are slowly growing (as expected) and the Barclaya longifolia is growing well. My Ammonia is still in the 1-2 PPM range with no detectable Nitrite.

Now on with the pics......

Thanks for looking!

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good Evening BCA'ers.

Today I was able to pick up some more trial plants from Matt's (battmanh's) awesome RAOK.

I added a few stems of each of the following:

Pogostemon erectus
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia 'red'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosanervig'
Hygrophila pinnatifida

I'm hoping these plant thrive with Metricide 14 as a CO2 source. We'll have to wait and see.

Now onto the pics......

Thanks for looking!

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Good Evening fellow aquarists.

It has been over a month since my last update and I finally have some fish and Matt's plants have settled in nicely. No gaseous CO2 has been used since the tank's inception.

I went to Aprils a couple weeks ago and picked up:
10 Boraras brigittae
3 Corydoras pygmaeus
2 Otocinclus vittatus

Here are some pics of the tank as of a couple days ago.

Thanks for looking.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very nice! What type of filtration are you using? Do you have 2 or am I seeing something else? Looking at these tank journals is making my eyes bugged eyed lol. I'm seeing so many different types of equipment I've never seen before. I think it's time to leave my comfort zone (surrey - chilliwack) lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I not mistaken, Stuart just has 1 filter. The second one is just a reflection.

What is he single plant in the middle beside the rock?

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice! What type of filtration are you using? Do you have 2 or am I seeing something else? Looking at these tank journals is making my eyes bugged eyed lol. I'm seeing so many different types of equipment I've never seen before. I think it's time to leave my comfort zone (surrey - chilliwack) lol.

There are 2 Eheim Mini Ups as filtration in this tank. It is a high light non CO2 tank.

If I not mistaken, Stuart just has 1 filter. The second one is just a reflection.

What is he single plant in the middle beside the rock?
It is 2 filters and the plant is Ludwigia sphaerocarpa.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
359 Posts
There are 2 Eheim Mini Ups as filtration in this tank. It is a high light non CO2 tank.

It is 2 filters and the plant is Ludwigia sphaerocarpa.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!
Thank you. It looks great!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Afternoon all.

It has been a while since my last update. A lot of things have changed over the last 5 months. I added a paintball CO2 system about a month ago with drastic plant growth. I added some Murdannia keisak, 4 Amano shrimp to stave off BBA, removed all Weeping Moss and Mini pellia (they did not like this tank). I also added 6 donated Dwarf Neon Rainbows (that spawn regularly) and I have several babies growing in different tanks now.

I will now move onto some pictures of the tank after a water change and a trim.

Top down shots:

Shots from the front:

Thanks you for looking!

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Awesome looking tank Stuart.Are the Dwarf Neon Rainbows from Laurie?

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What a transformation. Great job Stuart
Thank you Anthony. I'm liking the way it is growing in.

It's amazing to watch an empty glass box turn into that. Excellent work.
Hello Mark. I'll be updating this and some other tanks more often hopefully.

Awesome looking tank Stuart.Are the Dwarf Neon Rainbows from Laurie?
Yes, Jody, those are some of Laurie's hitchhikers. I now have several fry at different growth stages. The largest one is about 1/2" and definitely a male.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts