British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got some Galaxy rasbora maybe about 2 months ago. I always wanted them for the chance to try to figure out the breeding and raise some successfully. Well Just now i took a look in the tank to checkout the CRS that Ed sent me and noticed a little darting fry at the top of the tank. I quickly figured out that it was from the galaxy. I quickly netted it (was lucky it didnt go through the net) and put it into one of those mesh breeder type nets.

I assume he was the first, or maybe he's the last survivor lol.

I wasnt expecting this so i didnt have live food ready at all. Not really sure what to do at this point as i have never attempted to raise them. I am sure i will fail and they will die but just getting the experience is good enough for me.

I gotta find some live micro worms around here as i think those are best for this little guy, and anymore that start popping up.

These are not my fish, just a picture for reference

Timeline:

Day 0 - Discovered First Fry in tank and isolated him unknown his age
Day 1 - Fry still alive, i have ordered some live microworm cultures to feed him that. So far feeding him crushed flake, very fine
Day 2 & 3 - This was a weekend so i came on the sat to feed him and didnt come on the sunday
Day 4 - still alive
day 5 - guys still alive, have not recieved my worms yet. feeding crushed ground up flakes for now usually 1 or 2 times per day he seems like he may have grown 1/4 of his size. there is moss with him at all times
day 21 -hes still in the tank, i took him out of the breeding net because there is not much which can eat him anyways plus the net didnt let enough water in. He has only doubled in size and is still pretty small, still looks like a tadpoll. no colors, just a transparent color still

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
They're miniaturem, like... you have to look deep into a tank to find em LOL!
And congratz, good luck on that!

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 Day after findin the fry he's still here, i have not noticed any other fry in the tank at all. I have isolated the fry in a little breeder type mesh net and i am feeding him fine crushed flakes.

I went onto ebay and found a live microworm culture in ontario for about 3$ so i bought it.

that's the only update for now

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congratz:)

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you have any moss in the tank they'll eat the infusora that grows in it. I raised some cpd fry in a square 1/2 tank. I always have an infusora colony going for the fry, and use a coral feeder to "inject" it into the tank including the java moss. I also have a supply of java moss in all tanks with fry. The parents are avid egg/fry eaters.

Steve

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i put some some moss in there, he was still alive today. It's the weekend now so i'll have to go check on him tomrrow, make sure he's ok ;)

thanks as well steve

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea i ordered some from ebay, a guy from ontario. just gotta wait for the microworm culture

·
Registered
614 Posts
Shawn, This was quoted from celestialpearldanio.com in the feeding section.

Supernova26 said:
I put a few pieces of old driftwood they get the initial food from micro organizems growing there and feed them walterworms and golden pearls. It works for me.
A further note about the breeding nets. We are experimenting with what we have nicknamed "playpens". We take start with a small basket from a dollar store. Line it with a fine mesh. Then mount pontoons on it, to keep it afloat. The pontoons are made from PVC pipe with end caps glues on. We are using aquarium cauking for the glue. We are still experimenting, and making progress on each one.

Steve

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day 5 of finding the little guy and he's still holding in there, the microworms i ordered have not come yet so i have been feeding him ground up flakes and he has some moss to chew on. He is still in the breeder mesh net. He seems to be doing ok , so far so good. Seems like he may have grown a bit but it's hard to tell he's so damn small. have not found any other brothers or sisters yet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts