British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The swim bladder isn't going back in this time and the Gulper is stuck on the filter intake. I called the emergency # on a bottle of API medicine & they had no idea what I should do, they suggested a water change ...sigh.

I'm going to give the Gulper a few more minutes to try to get it in himself, but if he doesn't I'm going to stick a tube in. He's very pale.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Could it be parasites? Fish dont usually expell the swim bladder for no reason... I've never seen it in an aquarium, but when fishing and brought up too fast, it expands and is forced out. You said there are feeders in the tank, maybe they had worms or something and they are taking up too much space in the belly, and forcing the swim bladder out. Just a thought... Sorry to hear about your little guy, hope things turn out.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Could it be parasites? Fish dont usually expell the swim bladder for no reason... I've never seen it in an aquarium, but when fishing and brought up too fast, it expands and is forced out. You said there are feeders in the tank, maybe they had worms or something and they are taking up too much space in the belly, and forcing the swim bladder out. Just a thought... Sorry to hear about your little guy, hope things turn out.

The feeders came from a trusted source who had them for awhile & medicated them and none of the other Gulpers in the tank are having the same problem. I'm going to pull the rest of the feeders out of the tank tomorrow just to be safe though. I can't find anything online either about the swim bladder coming out in home aquaria. I could only find it about catfish caught fishing in deep waters.

The Gulper did get his swim bladder back in earlier (it was out for at least 40 minutes that time), but I think that he most likely isn't going to survive the night :(. His body is still all puffed up. He's been laying on his side on the bottom of the tank with his gills rapidly gasping in the same spot for almost 2 hours.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
You know what, I'm sincerely sorry, but if I was there I would put him\her down personally if you were in agreement, as quickly as I could. Not to say it's not recoverable, I just don't have a good feeling about this. I had to do this last week when my betta was barely swimming sideways, not even able to get a breath of air, just twitching, then nothing. I had to kill ("cull") him myself, and all I've been doing is starring at an empty 15 gallon every time I walk into my bedroom. I didn't go the clove oil, or freezer route, I did the most instant and humane thing I could think of. I don't regret it, I just wish it was different.

I'm not saying it's suffering unnecessarily, but if you feel it is, please get him peace.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
You know what, I'm sincerely sorry, but if I was there I would put him\her down personally if you were in agreement, as quickly as I could. Not to say it's not recoverable, I just don't have a good feeling about this. I had to do this last week when my betta was barely swimming sideways, not even able to get a breath of air, just twitching, then nothing. I had to kill ("cull") him myself, and all I've been doing is starring at an empty 15 gallon every time I walk into my bedroom. I didn't go the clove oil, or freezer route, I did the most instant and humane thing I could think of. I don't regret it, I just wish it was different.

I'm not saying it's suffering unnecessarily, but if you feel it is, please get him peace.
When I woke up this morning the Gulper was still alive but in great distress. I knew instantly that I had to put him down. He passed on his own though in the couple of minutes that it took me to gather a bucket, towel, etc. I have culled other fish before and it is a very unpleasant thing to have to do, but I definitely agree that it's best to end their suffering. Gulpers are known for being tough fish though so that's why I was hoping this one would somehow pull through.

I'm sorry to hear about your Betta.

I took the feeder goldfish out of the tank just in case this issue had something to do with them. Now I have to figure out what to do with the feeders. I don't want to give them to somebody else & possible make their fish get sick. There's about 17 of them sitting in a 5 gallon bucket for now. If it was warmer weather I'd just through them in a 20+ gallon rubbermaid bin on my patio and use it as a make shift pond. If by chance anybody wants them (not to use as feeders), please pm me.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Sorry to hear Pamela, he sure was trying hard to keep been alive. Maybe search more about it, it has to b something about this out there somewhere.....

·
Registered
695 Posts
I too am sorry to hear of the demise of your Gulper! Sounds like he had a tough go the past day or so. I like the pond idea using a Rubbermaid container for the comets.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sorry to hear claudia. I was hoping for him. Who knows what it could have been. I guess you could take it to the van aquarium or get in contact with someone like a marine biologist who could figure out what happened. It could have just been a genetic problem eith that particular fish.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Somehow it seems silly, but like any other pet you really do get attached to your fish! And its always so sad to lose one! Especially when its drawn out like this! U was also hoping it would pull through.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Sorry for your loss. He looked like a cool fish.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts