British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting with the first step .. Home depot... thay got it all! you need, sliding glass door, wood screws and wood. .. see for your self..

#1 I used 2x6's

#2 At this point I would have put more bracing in. more 2x4's across

#3 I used 3/4 inch plywood all the way around .. except the front.

#4 I used a 4x4 and ripped a 2x2 chunk out for the corners.

#5 You get the point

#6 Used 2x4 around the top

#7you get the point

#8 Adding plywood to the back and sides.

#9again at this point i would add a 4x4 down the center because the 2x4 was crazy bending so I added an extra 2x4.. it looked like crap after i did that so if you can make it work during the construction all the better.

#10 add glass from sliding glass window and water ..

So let me know what you think.. I have spent a long time finding the best way to make wood water tight.. feel free to ask.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow, nice setup!

I like the fish in the middle, the light gold one. It reminds me of those fish in the Monty Python movie lol I can totally see a face!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If I ever did an arrow tank I know who to call!!

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
Folks making their own tanks like this may want to check with their local Glass shop.

I've seen plate Glass and doors removed from industrial applications just sitting in their used glass section.

Many of the 1/2" thick all glass doors cannot be re-cut as they are tempered and can be picked up for a reasonable price.

I have been looking at a piece of glass at a local glass shop that is leaning up against a tree about 7ft by 10 ft but it is not tempered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Blue Max

what did you put on the back board to make it water proof?
I used a product called Blue max. Check it out I got it at industrial plastics in langley. one 5 Gallon can will cost you $300 but it will do 5 or 6 tanks. I think it says it will do over 300sqf. it also has no V.O.C's (Volatile Organic Compunds) so it doesn't leach anything bad into the water.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts