British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH MY GOD!!!! I just bought a pair of juvenile Jewel cichlids July 3rd and they spawned today. :D Am totally unprepared for this......have to get a fry tank set-up. Was wondering why all the other tank mates were crowding down to the opposite end of the tank.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Congratz :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
they are breeding machines, and mean suckers they had 3 of my oscars backed to one side of the tank when they had their fry. awesome little fish :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spawn turned bad.....

Eggs were laid, both were guarding the site but yesterday both the eggs and the female dissapeared and I thought she had moved fry to another hiding spot. Found her this morning, DOA....funeral to be announced....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read somewhere that if things go wrong aggression between the two might happen. I think thats what happened. He went after her when the eggs didnt hatch.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here we go again

My Jewel cichlids spawned last week, unfortunatly the eggs didnt hatch, and I suspect the male took out some aggression on the female which later died. So today I picked up another female on the way home and introduced her to him. Looks like love at first sight.......LOL. :D No aggression displayed, but a lot of fancy fin movement (showing off the fins) and his colour almost immediately brightened. I might add I took him out of the tank I had him in (he was being rather nasty to my other fish) and decided to put him in solitary confinement for the last few days. We'll see what happens. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts