British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to share these photos. When I got this Kenyi about 3 weeks ago he was dull grey with just a very, very slight trace of yellow.( first pic ) But now he has morphed into a spectacular bright orange as you can see in the second photo which does not do him justice. He also has become quite bossy and seems to think he rules the roost.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
He might have been a sub-dominant male in his previous tank. Dominant males show more yellow like the 2nd picture and that basically means that he will be very aggressive towards other tank mates.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:)Well that could be true but he was in the same tank as the others that were given to me and if he was sub dominant in that tank he would still be sub dominant in this tank, I would think. I read that as they get older the male Kenyi morph and change to this golden orange colour. I suspect they are all getting better quality care now as well, and the others I recieved along with him all seem to have coloured up as well.:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
The yellow is a Male kenyi, who's comfortable enough to show he's male! Doesn’t have to be the dom male in the tank.

However it mean's HE is thinking of himself as the Dominate kenyi male, if you have another male kenyi it wont stay that way long, my kenyi male has 4 female's in a mixed tank and doesn’t bother any of the other species, he will however kill any other male kenyi who turns yellow

And just to ad, tank hierarchy is based on not only the fish, but the tank and territory, a hierarchy will not always establish itself in the same order even if it's the exact same fish, quite the opposite a change in scenery can be all that's needed to give a sub dom male that push to try and form a territory of his own and become top dog! If you do have other yellow kenyi in the same tank I suggest picking the niest and removing the rest, your gonna end up with only one in the end anyway, might as well choose for yourself rather then let them kill eachother!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts