British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

My new 108 gal discus tank

7K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  Peterchow 
#1 ·
My new tank arrived at 1:30pm today. Spent a few hours setting everything up. At 6:00pm, all discus went into their new home. Had their first happy meal at 7:00pm.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #9 ·
It seems pretty bare, Peter. You need more discus to fill it up ;)

Looks GREAT and your fish are going to be SOOOO happy.

Shelley
Yes, you are right. Shelley. The tank can handle a lot more discus.
2 gal per one discus = 52 discus x 2 = 108 gal.

I have 26 in there now, so I can add 26 more. I am crazy !!!!!!!

Thanks everybody for your encouraging comments & viewing !!!!!

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Looking great peter. What are you using for filters on the tank. wow 56 discus in that tank. I feel bad keeping 9 in a 120 lol.. Keep up the good work..
Dave, I dont have 56 discus in there yet. I only have 26 for now, but my tank can handle a total of 56, or more, based only on my personal experience.

Presently, the tank has 5 filters : 2 eheim 2215, one fluval 305, one magnum HOB & a submergeable filter.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Interesting. So you don't follow the 10 gallon per discus rule?
I had my 20 discus in a temporary 35 gal hex tank for a week before they moved into their new home tonight. Everyone colored up in there as well as eating more, even better condition than in their previous 75 gal. As long as their water is fresh everyday with very strong filtration, they enjoy & prefer a very tight community of their own.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
If you're changing that much water, I don't the tank essentially doesn't ever get cycled, so as long as the gas exchange is ok, I would think you could pack the fish in there.
Yes, Gary. You are exactly right !!!!

This is why a lot of discus keepers just use sponge filters. I chose not to use sponge filters as they take up a lot of space in the tank.

With daily water change + daily vacuuming, powerheads will also work.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I didn't know it's 1 discuss per 2 gallons. I only have 12 wild in my 210. Probably a good thing, too lazy to change water

everyday.:p
Hey, Richard. 2 gal per discus is only my personal rule, based on my own experience as well as some very experienced discus keepers in Hong Kong.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
After struggling for over a month with the city tap water, my two new tanks finally shed some lights. On the second day of my new discus tank set up, all of my eheim canisters were leaking, so I replaced them with HOB filters, however, the water was very cloudy all along until this week.

Before our forum big crash, my mated pair of snakeskin was breeding in my 35 hex tank but I had to remove the tank to make way for my 210G monster tank. So I put the pair back to my main discus tank and since then the pair was not happy, as I have disturbed their spawning. Today, I have decided to give them a chance to continue their breeding again in the same environment.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Thank you for your encouraging comments + viewing !!!!

Bien - I still remembered I bought my very first batch of plants from you to start my planted tanks. Your genuine plant advice to me will never be forgotten. Discus will look exceptionally good in your planted tank and they don"t need a lot of swimming space.

Harry - I will definitely keep you in mind for a mated pair. I did have a second mated pair - rose red + red spotted green, however, since I put them back in the main tank, they haven't been connecting back together at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.