British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Went to value village yesterday and there it sat gleaming with all its shiny metal!
This was my first fish tank. Yes I'm old! About50 years ago I got a tank for Xmas just like it.
The lights still work and the cover is complete. 12.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have one exactly like that, ~29 gallon-ish. Complete setup, lid and everything. Got it from my late uncle. The classiest looking tank ever.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just filled with water. Looks like I have a leak in one corner . Guess it will need a bit of silicone

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you had yours before me tom! I was about 13. So.. About 1969.!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have one of those too!. It's housing my shrimp right now.
Note: Do not keep betas in this tank. The males spend their time arguing with themselves because the back of that metal is just as reflective as the front.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Memories... :)

I had one of those as well...10 gallon, I think? 1982!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This one is a 10 gallon. I also have a little 2.5 gallon one I got off eBay.
I noticed that lid and lights get quite warm. Maybe I won't need a heater!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got 2 of those old Metaframe tanks, a 10 gallon and a 7 gallon. The 10 was my very first tank back in 1980. It came with the canopy, a corner filter, sponge filter, an old Longlife air-driven HOB filter, plus the old green Metaframe heater. The 10 leaks so I'll have to reseal it with silicone if I ever decide to set it up again. I used the 7 to breed Bettas. Sexy looking tanks.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 10 gallon is leaking . I added some sealant yesterday..but I was too impatient to fill.. I'll work on it some more.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
April, after you reseal, place tank away from where you can see it all the time. Out of sight, out of mind. Hopefully then you won't be tempted to refill in less than 48 hours. I usually like to leave new silicone to cure for at least 2 days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, that's an amazing find April! Sorry to hear about the new silicon seal not holding ... but totally understand the impatience and wanting to check it out by filling it with water. ;)

Seeing the picture sure brought back some good childhood memories for me. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol yeah..ill not get tempted to refill. its running now..and the leak seems to have slowed. ill make a line at the water level and see how it goes tomorrow morning. : ) whats a few drips? lol.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Like all of the above members who have posted, my first tank was a stainless tank....mine being the standard 10 gal, complete with canopy and light. It was an exciting entrance into the wonderful world of aquaria for a young boy in the 50's.... Yes, you heard me....THE 50'S :eek: Later when I got really hooked on our hobby in the 60's, I had a rack full of the stainless tanks....5 1/2's and 10 's.
From time to time I have come upon on of these tanks, but never complete with a canopy and light. I currently have an "unusual" shaped one....16 1/2" long X 14" wide X 10 " high. Looking for a suitable canopy and light...16 1/2" X 14". See posting under "freshwater equipment"

·
Banned
797 Posts
I have a nasty little scar on one finger from a cut I got from one of those tanks; I was working at Main Aquarium in the early 1980's after school, cleaning their tanks. Most of them were of that old-school chrome variety. Being impatient/careless I put my hand too quickly into one of those tanks and hit the sharp inside metal edge of the canopy. I got a deep gash that probably should have been stitched up. Beware! :)

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I have a nasty little scar on one finger from a cut I got from one of those tanks; I was working at Main Aquarium in the early 1980's after school, cleaning their tanks. Most of them were of that old-school chrome variety. Being impatient/careless I put my hand too quickly into one of those tanks and hit the sharp inside metal edge of the canopy. I got a deep gash that probably should have been stitched up. Beware! :)
Yep....I hear you bro. That is good advice :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
HahA! I was a bit of a regular at Main Aquarium in the 80's. You must be Simon or Danny.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts