British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally did it! I rescaped my 15 gallon yesterday and it was a total PITA!

Here is what it looked like before the rescape:

And this is its new incarnate tonight.

Flora have included and do include:

Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Pogostemon helferi - Downoi - died
Fissidens fontanus - Phoenix Moss
Proserpinaca palustris - Mermaid Weed
Singapore Moss (Vesicularia dubyana)
Weeping Moss - Vesicularia ferriei
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown'
Heteranthera zosterifolia (Stargrass)
Myriophyllum tuberculatum - removed
Ranunculus inundatas
Staurogyne repen
Echinodorus versuvius - added
Hygrophila 'Pantanal' - added
Ammania sp 'Bonsai' - added

Marsilea hirsuta - removed
Dwarf Hairgrass - added
Hygrophila pinnatifida - died

Fauna will be:
Blue Pearl Shrimp
Boraras brigittae
Boraras merah
Silvertip BNP
Ottocinclus affinis
Assasin Snails
Pest Snails

Right side:

Centre:

Left side:

Top view right:

Top view centre:

Top view left:

Let me know you thoughts. Any comments on the layout are welcome.

Keep posted as I will have a bunch of plants for sale and Blue Pearl shrimp available shortly. I just have to portion and sorth the plants and cull the BP's.

Thanks for looking.

Stuart

·
Registered
773 Posts
I can't wait to see it when it starts filling out. Looks good so far. I wanna try mermaid weed but am not sure how it will work in my tank.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I like it :). I wanna see it after it fills in. So keep us updated :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Healthy plants! Tank looks great!

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tank specs are as follows:

1 - Standard 15 gallon tank

Lighting:
1 - 24W Hagen Glo T5HO with a Geismann 6000K Aquaflora bulb
1 - dual Coralife T5 Aqualight - 1 10,000K and 1 Colormax Bulb
Photoperiod: 7 hours with all lights

CO2:
Milwaukee 957 CO2 Regulator on a 5lb tank
Diffused through an UP Aqua CO2 Atomizer
Rate: 2 Bubbles every 3 seconds when lights are on

Filtration:
1 - Eheim Ecco 2232

Substrate:
1/2 ADA I and 1/2 ADA II (about 1-1/2 bags total)

Fertz:
EI: Right now using Pfertz line but will switch to dry dosing after tank clears.

Since setting the tank up a couple days ago, I have run into a MASSIVE bacterial bloom :eek:.

Here are some pics :(!

I quickly went into "OH CRAP" mode, and installed an additional Ecco 2232 as a water pump for a Turbo-Twist 3X (9W) sterilizer.

I will keep posting on the progress.

Thanks for looking :)

Stuart

Hopefully it will clear soon.

Once clear, I willl allow the tank to stabilize for a week or so before removing it entirely.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did a 100% WC and the water is as clear as the initial post (I couldn't wait for it to clear on its own). I will continue running the UV for a couple weeks so the bloom does not reoccur. The ADA I and the original Ecco 2232 were on the old incarnation for quite a while, so I won't need the additional bacterial load that becomes suspended. I dry dosed as well for the first time EVER.

I added 1/8 tsp Potassium Nitrate
1/32 tsp Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, and Plantex (CSM+B)

I will post additional pics in the morning as it should clear over night :)!

Thanks for looking,

Stuart

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hows things looking after day 1 from the water change?
It cleared up quite well :D. Here are a couple of pics :) !

I'm also doing a little "What plant is that" thingy? If anyone can guess what the Bolbitis looking plant in all of the above pics is, they will get 1 free stem when I have enough to sell. Happy guessing ;). One unsuspecting member already has a clue........

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hygrophila pinnatifida
What was your clue, Joe? You are correct. Now to wait for the plant to grow ;)! Good thing you live so close.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
539 Posts
Lol, sweeeeet. Well, you said that it was a stem, so naturally crpyts and rhizome were off the list. Definitely wasn't bolbitis, bolbitis grows differently. Judging by pic 3, your plant grows like a hygro, sort of like hygro difformis stripped naked of its bottom leaves. Plus I know for a fact that you always have the latest stuff so I went to tropica looked up their newest stem plans under H and BAM in all it's glory, Hygrophila pinnatifida.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol, sweeeeet. Well, you said that it was a stem, so naturally crpyts and rhizome were off the list. Definitely wasn't bolbitis, bolbitis grows differently. Judging by pic 3, your plant grows like a hygro, sort of like hygro difformis stripped naked of its bottom leaves. Plus I know for a fact that you always have the latest stuff so I went to tropica looked up their newest stem plans under H and BAM in all it's glory, Hygrophila pinnatifida.
Wow :eek:, you did your homework on that one bud. Now grow already.....

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK I need some input on what antibacterial medication would work to eradicate my rogue bacteria. My water column is clear, however, it has now decided to engulf and possibly smother all the plant life within it (it is also growing on the substrate :eek: ! It looks to be the same type of bacteria I had last summer that almost wiped out my 29 gallon. I believe the contaminant strain either came in through my water supply or is airbourne.

So for a last dich effort I want to use an antibacterial medication to eradicate it or elso I will need to throw out all livestock and run the tank with a mild bleach solution to kill it all off and start fresh. Here are some pics of what I am talking about.

ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
485 Posts
What you say about giving metricide 14 a try? I have a bucket/jug I can drop off, worth a shot as apposed to doing / before you try bleach no?

PM me or call (aa haa I will call in the am been a busy couple days) Just PM me bout the metricide if you wanna give it a shot....

Lisa

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Lisa.

I have a gallon of Metricide but thank you for the offer. I drained the tank and did 1 part to 10 parts dilution and misted with it. I was thinking maybe doing a Maracyn 1 and 2 treatment and then reintroducing the correct bacteria. Right now all 4 of my betta bowls are also infected with this freakin' bacterial strain. Do you think this might work?

Best Regards,

Stuart

What you say about giving metricide 14 a try? I have a bucket/jug I can drop off, worth a shot as apposed to doing / before you try bleach no?

PM me or call (aa haa I will call in the am been a busy couple days) Just PM me bout the metricide if you wanna give it a shot....

Lisa

1 - 20 of 104 Posts