SUper7

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
are they actually poisonous?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Oh wow, this is an amazing setup. Great job!

So yes, same question here, why the name?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Nice to see you posting bud

Great pictures too

·
Registered
743 Posts
Apparently when raised in captivity they dont develop the poison as it comes from something in the native diet.
I was going to ask if I could dip my blowgun darts on the frogs back just for kicks

·
Registered
480 Posts
More dart frog people - YAY...when you get some theres no turning back...! Did you get these locally?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments everyone, the frogs origionaly came from understory and are now breeding for me, I actually won a award for the viv back in the old forum days, britecube had a comp. Ill post some new pics up as I re did the viv about a week ago, took the stump out as it was always moldy.
thanks,
Super7

·
Registered
165 Posts
Apparently when raised in captivity they dont develop the poison as it comes from something in the native diet.
I was going to ask if I could dip my blowgun darts on the frogs back just for kicks
This is true, in the wild Poisonous Frogs eat a type of ant that is poisonous and they use that poison for their own defences out of their glands. And because in Cap. we usually feed them Crickets, and mealworms usually they don't get that poison from the ants that they need to produce that toxin.

I learned this at the Vancouver Aquarium day camp FTW !! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is true, in the wild Poisonous Frogs eat a type of ant that is poisonous and they use that poison for their own defences out of their glands. And because in Cap. we usually feed them Crickets, and mealworms usually they don't get that poison from the ants that they need to produce that toxin.

this is somewhat true, I know no one who feeds meal worms or crickets to their dart frogs though, only wingless fruit flies.
Super7

·
Registered
52 Posts

mites not ants

this is somewhat true, I know no one who feeds meal worms or crickets to their dart frogs though, only wingless fruit flies.
Super7
pinhead crix

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice pics Super! I remember leaving that stump with Roger's too (back when I was doing the BriteCube thing). I know this thread is a bit old but I PM'd. Good work with the viv. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts