British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have angels spawned before, but I typically let them be in the community tank and they usually get eaten after they are free swimming. But this time the parents are so pretty I want to try and raise the fry. After raising some juvenile silver angels for a couple of months, I ended up with a breeding pair that spawned. Because they spawned in a community tank, I decided to just remove the eggs and transferred them to a 5 gal tank that has a heater and a sponge filter. After one day, most of the eggs look healthy.

So now I am going to need to plan the food source for the babies if and when they do hatch to free swimming fries. I should have time to setup a hatchery over the weekend and have bbs to feed the fries as soon as they become free swimming but since I never had experience raising bbs before, what's the most economical way to hatch bbs and have constant supply.

Thanks in advance, and attached is a pic of the father guarding the eggs before I removed them.
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Beak Grass

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Google "brine shrimp hatchery" and maybe add "pop bottle" in your search. 2 litre pop bottles upside down with bottom cut off and an airstone inserted for aeration and circulation is probably still the least expensive method of hatching bbs. Good luck. BTW, if this batch doesn't make it don't be too disappointed. Some common reasons rearing angelfish yourself may not work include: Eggs may not be fertilized properly, moving from 1 tank to another may cause casualties, no parents in tank means you have to physically remove the dead eggs before they rot and fungus over, contaminating the other healthy eggs. It often takes 1 or more batches to perfect a rearing method that really works well and sometimes even if you do everything "right", things happen.

Anthony

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well, this is always exciting!. Congrats. I think they are a nice pair as well, I am assuming the female is the one that was blurry in the other post.
I find you need 2 x hatchery setups. It takes 24 - 36 hrs for a batch, so while you are harvesting one, have the other one started. Water temp is important, some people put the hatchers in a water bath, but the temp in my fish room seems fine without. I use the upside down pop bottle (plastic) thing, and have a stand to hold these hatching cones stable. I have seen using another pop bottle bottom, cut off as a stand as well, but I like access to the neck of the bottle as I insert a stopcock in the neck, easy to harvest the new BBS as they seem to fall to the bottom of the cone when newly hatched and the air is off. Also, I wouldn't use an airstone as they say the BBS can be affected by small bubbles, I just use he end of the airhose, no stone. I found a light source was essential to hatching, and I had extremely poor hatches before I finally mounted a small light over the hatching cones. I use a coffee filter paper to capture the BBS. Good luck.

PS Angel fry do well with crushed flake, just in case!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water Liquid Fluid Fish Lake
got about 10 of these guys free swimming. Feeding them live bbs, hopefully at least some of them will survive!

·
Registered
519 Posts
You always take the best photos, great detail on that fry. They will grow fast on the live baby brine.
No kidding, great photo, I would like to be able to do that!. What kind of setup do you use? lens? settings? Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Brent

congrats on the 10, at least you know it is a good pair, numbers should improve with next spawns, if you have the room!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning, I've counted 12 swimming around, and here are some more updated pics of the fries!

Thanks for all the kind comments on my photos! These photos were taken with my Nikon D610 and the Nikkor 105mm VR macro lens on a tripod (had to use tripod and live view as it was hard to focus on fries as they are so tiny that even breathing will knock the fish out of focus) and generally just shot with higher ISO to get a decent shutter speed with a wide open aperture. I just used a desktop CFL lamp for lighting as I don't have a hood for the 5 gal tank.

Liquid Water Beak Fish Fluid
Water Liquid Fin Fluid Underwater
Liquid Fin Fish Underwater Marine biology
They are growing little by little each day and so far, all are doing well. You can see the full orange belly that resulted from the fries eating the baby brine shrimp.

Luckily the baby brine shrimp seems to be able to live for about 4-5 hours in the fry tank even though it's freshwater... so I can put in an excess of the brine shrimp in the tank before I head to work to allow the fries to graze on the shrimps and not have to worry too much about the food rotting, while supplying the fries with enough food throughout the day. Then when I get home from work, I will put in a bit more brine shrimp into the tank to let them feed before I do a 25-50% water change depending on how messy the tank gets. But this method seem to be working for providing the fries with constant supply of food, and the tank is big enough so that the fries have to work a bit to find food so they won't overstuff themselves!

·
Registered
519 Posts
nice - I love baby fish. It will be cool to watch them transform into the angel shape, with your photography skills. Keep it up. Brent

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the looks of it... of the 15 fries, I "MIGHT" have to cull one of them, as it looks really bloated but the tummy is clear (not orange like the rest of the group) and it seemed like can't really swim properly. I will give it a few days and see if it lives through it and recover, if not, I might just cull it... just in case it might just be because of bad digestion.

Anyways, here's a quick update of some of the healthier ones (all other 14 fries are looking great)
Water Plant Liquid Fish Fin
Plant Water Liquid Fluid Fin

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 15

Day 15 (day 8 Free swimming)

If I pay careful attention to the shape of the fries, they are starting to develop the ventral and dorsal fins and starting to develop the more triangular shape! So far all 15 are swimming around
Liquid Insect Arthropod Organism Water
Water Fin Fluid Liquid Organism
Water Liquid Plant Fluid Organism
Plant Water Liquid Fluid Organism

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Look grest. The main thing as they develop is water quality. Siphon the bottom and clean slime off walls. Low nitrates. A lot of people who raise Angels locally end up with short dorsal fins .
Fin shape and height all has to do with very clean water. Even parameters otherwise you get short cut off dorsals.
Your parent pic has very nice fins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been religiously cleaning the tank daily and also change 50-75% of the water daily. I just need a better way of harvesting my brine shrimp so there's less shell entering the tank. I saw that a few fries got unhatched cysts in their stomach and thankfully they have been successfully pooping them out...But I really need to work on harvesting those bbs

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Your fry should grow well then! I just use the pop bottle uncut. Airstone through the the bottle neck . I unplug the pump, keep by a light and let the eggs settle to the bottom and put a light by the bottle. Then I siphon where they all congregate by the light into a shrimp net. With the same airline with the airstones off and the pump off.
Once they are eating well you can also order decal brine shrimp eggs from angel fins.ca and use unhitched. Meant to have better nutrition than hatched and easy to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just posting this as an update, I'm down one fry and now at 14 fries. The one that does was the one that looked like it had a deformity and was ballooned ever since it hatched. All the other 14 looks really healthy

1 - 20 of 44 Posts