British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank has always been cloudy. First I thought it was because of it being new and still cycling. Then I thought it was my filter and after cleaning it and doing a water change it was clear for 2 days then went right back to being cloudy. A month ago I put in black sand but it's not cloudy b/c of that. It's not the bio load either b/c I have other tank that are much more overstocked. What's a good way to always keep my water crystal clear. I know there is a tablet you drop into your tank to make it clear but does that really work? Discuss.

·
Registered
485 Posts
when you fill a white bucket with water from the tank what colour is it?

A maxijet 1200 powerhead with an aquaclear quickfilter attachment using the micro filtration cover that goes over the tube! Great thing! Will polish out fine particulate, hence my question about what colour it is in a white bucket, will help determine what the clouding is.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Buy lots and lots and lots of carbon! =) that should keep it crystal clear! and expensive!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when you fill a white bucket with water from the tank what colour is it?

A maxijet 1200 powerhead with an aquaclear quickfilter attachment using the micro filtration cover that goes over the tube! Great thing! Will polish out fine particulate, hence my question about what colour it is in a white bucket, will help determine what the clouding is.
The water is clear. So it's not from the tap.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
One question that has not been asked is how wide is the tank front to back. Once you get bigger than 18" front to back, it's a lot more work to keep a tank looking clean. My 125 gallon looks crystal clear looking from the front, but looks a bit cloudy when viewed from the side, and I'm running 3 big canisters, Purigen, and it's also heavily planted, so there's not much more I can do to make it clearer besides having no plecos in it. :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One question that has not been asked is how wide is the tank front to back. Once you get bigger than 18" front to back, it's a lot more work to keep a tank looking clean. My 125 gallon looks crystal clear looking from the front, but looks a bit cloudy when viewed from the side, and I'm running 3 big canisters, Purigen, and it's also heavily planted, so there's not much more I can do to make it clearer besides having no plecos in it. :D
The tank is also 18",135g. It cloudy though from all sides.

·
Registered
177 Posts
maybe its just cycling still.. need more bacteria?.. carbon?... polywool?... ummm yeah i used this aqua clear fast and it clears it up and stays clear.. if that'll help thats what i use

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what kind of filters are you running ? i can help ya ..
2 fx5's
Yes, knowing that would help.
2 Fx5's
maybe its just cycling still.. need more bacteria?.. carbon?... polywool?... ummm yeah i used this aqua clear fast and it clears it up and stays clear.. if that'll help thats what i use
The tank is custom and has a ledge so HOB aquaclears don't fit. The tank has been set-up for 1year. Before that it was set-up for 2years in another spot.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think what your problem is as it happen to me before too, first you need to clean your tank as it sometime make the tank look dull due to algae build up on the surface. Go buy the polish path for fx5 from J&L it works like a charm but it will clog up your filter pretty fast as it clean out your water to crystal clear. You need more mechanical filtration or use a sponge filter with strong power head it will work too but slower then polish path for fx5.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problem... I found out it was a bacteria bloom I tried everything 50% water changes changing filter media, adding more filters (it's a 80 gallon with a 404,405 and a XP2) purigen helped a bit but what really fixed it was a UV sterilzer (i bought a turbo twist 6x 25 watt for up to 250 gallons for [email protected] JL aquatics) it took 24 hours and the tank is crystal clear with the added bonus of no algae and no ick on all my scaleless fish

·
Registered
485 Posts
I took all the corse sponge out and cut poret foam to size for my fX5 reduced flow but my water is always clearer than it was before, I also have quick fliters I have not changed out in a long time and one of those giant sponge filters from april with a powerhead driving it hidden in a corner. I struggled with the non polishing ways of fx5 as well as Aquaman, sponge filters driven with powerheads large ones have helped us both out

·
Super Moderator
5,238 Posts
Another very effective method is a UV sterilizer. This will definitely work if it is bacterial or algal in nature. If it is particulates you can also try using filter socks (fine material used to polish reef tanks) from J&L and use that as a polisher in one of your FX5's.

Good Luck on a resolution.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
485 Posts
Forgot I also have a Uv in there too 24 watt~

·
Registered
668 Posts
^ i agree, try to polishing pads made for FX5s, they're cheap too. If I remember correctly, it's about 5 bucks for 3 in a box

1 - 20 of 23 Posts