British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 2 a couple men down but water at 78 deg ,salinity about 33 ppt, light 24 hrs , to grow algae ,slowly siphoning left over swimmers from the fresh water tank today. The little tank makes it hard to keep salinity steady but I'm taking my sweet time . Will take pics again tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
20160209_200321.jpg 20160209_200411.jpg 20160209_200900.jpg

So one week and it seems like I have had very few casualties. Just did 20 % water change with a little algae and water out of my other tank. FYI i believe the Fluval sea hydrometer to be a little off after sitting in the salt tank for a while, rinsed it with fresh and it seemed better. So far so good. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sure is a lot of work outsider and a bigger rearing tank would make it alot easier to control salinity. As i found out mine was just over 36 ppt and i had a 60 - 70 % loss �� .I have approx 20- 30 remaining but i will try again as i have 2 berried amanos in my other tank right now and i have a little better idea of how to do this. I will get some pics again in a day or two of the survivors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I'm pretty disappointed as my last survivors passed . Some had even started to move slightly horizontal which I assume means I was close. Like I said before I will try again once my other amano are ready .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow, I've never seen anyone even try to breed these guys. If you ever grow any out please PM me, I love these little guys

·
Registered
214 Posts
Any more tips or tricks as I also have a berried female at the moment and would like to try rearing them. Is it easier to separate the female now to a rearing tank then remove her after the eggs hatch take her out and start the increase in salinity?

amano.jpg

What are the best options?

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
181 Posts
A little late on the reply, but I found this article with information that might answer some question
https://gabhar.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/breeding-amano/

Any more tips or tricks as I also have a berried female at the moment and would like to try rearing them. Is it easier to separate the female now to a rearing tank then remove her after the eggs hatch take her out and start the increase in salinity?

View attachment 119690

What are the best options?

Cheers,
Sean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts