British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

summer is here...
i set a nano tnak at the balcony.( about 3 weeks old...)

no filtration, no lighting, no heating, no co2,
i call it "n no tank"

-the temperature is around 8-33 degree these days
-have direct sunlight for 2 hours ( the table lamp in the picture is only for taking photography.)
-change the 3/4water twice a week

right now it is doing quite well.
-a cherry shrimp is still survival for a week.. even at 8 degree cold water.
-there is only a few Green algae on the glass. i clean it when doing the water change.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
WOW! That's a really nice setup! But a shrimp that can take those extreme temperature? you might wanna start breeding him to make some super shrimps =)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Personally, I've found that RCS are way tougher than people would give them credit for (well, the ones I keep at least anyways). I've kept some RCS in a similar setup in the past, with no filtration and no aeration where heat and light were provided by a desktop lamp, and my shrimp did fine (it was for a period of three months as well). However, I can't say that I've ever kept them at temps as low as 8 degrees...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

the shrimp shows up this morning. @ 18 degree..
i will keep tracing that shrimp..see hows it doing at low temperautre.
-------------

at the same time i start another test.. see how HC grows above water.
this pot is about 5 days old. it starts to grow..^_^

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just thought but.... "why not get a heater?"
i think the heater is useless for planted tank in vancouver...summer time: warm. winter time: have heating inside. and the lighting will help too...

and this tank is only a test...to see how plants grow in low temperautre..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

3 months passed.
----thinks did on this tank-----
-added black background (reduces direct sunlight, warm up the water a bit)
-added some floating plants (water more clear)
-added a fish (fine at 10- degree)
-trimed two times, clean the glass once each two weeks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
here are some pics of my emersed plant

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
do not have a micro lens.. took by a 50mm lens and 100% crop.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Letting nature take its course.Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Personally, I've found that RCS are way tougher than people would give them credit for (well, the ones I keep at least anyways). I've kept some RCS in a similar setup in the past, with no filtration and no aeration where heat and light were provided by a desktop lamp, and my shrimp did fine (it was for a period of three months as well). However, I can't say that I've ever kept them at temps as low as 8 degrees...
cherries are such a versatile (and under-rated) invert. I keep/breed them in unheated soft water tanks and 28c hard water set-ups.

terrific thread! a great example of a low tech set-up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is fantastic! The layout of the rocks and the proportions of the grass are excellent. I can't believe you were this successful with this setup (outside, no light, no heat etc)

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I like the look of this tank. Don't know how I missed this thread. I'll have to get a look at those rocks at one of these stores in person. I really like them. And I agree with you. With no fish, no reason to heat the water. Cherry shrimp do great in cool water.

·
Registered
64 Posts
White clouds are good at taking some cold temps as well. And they'd do well to spread some ferts the old fashioned way :)

Very nice setup.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts