British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since Patrick had an ADA sale, I decided to subsitute my old old 10G to a new ADA tank, and finally go the CO2 route. Had been thinking about pressurized CO2 for the last 10 years!

My old 10G:
20150304_135741.jpg

CO2 !!
20150304_135508.jpg

Dry start and set up:
20150304_135423.jpg

20150304_135456.jpg

20150304_135444.jpg

Comments and suggestions please!

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Sweet welcome to the high tech planted tank club :)
What plants are you keeping in there? I think I see UG.
I know you probably want to try a few different species to see what does well but I recommend against multiple carpeting plants.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Too funny,
I do love the 60p.
Looks like your ready to giver. What are you using for lighting?

·
Registered
342 Posts
i may have the same trouble with my mini hairgrass, im thinking that my light is not reaching it enough to make it grow properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update 2015.03.29 - plants are doing great, UG completely melted so I substituted with riccia instead. I found out that my check valve was leaking so there was no CO2 ending entering my tank at all, got a new check cake valve.

Front: I had trimmed the plants twice already, they grow so fast with CO2!

Baby cherry shrimp on riccia, had transferred this one 2 days before from old tank to new home, the first explorer!

More cherry shrimps

Top view:

One of my L144 yellow long fin bristle nose pleco:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Looking good. Ah from one bladderwort to another :)
Riccia is a great looking plant but I noticed that they are totally buoyant. They'll be a time when Riccia will grow off your mesh and float to the top of the tank so trim them regularly.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
UG Always melts!
I have yet to acquire a portion that will grow and not melt.
I have many many portions that grows and then after a little while it'll just melt.
Emersed or submersed, either way. If someone has a secret, let me know =)

Btw, lovely tank~ Yes, I can never find the roots on riccia neither! Nice tank!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UG Always melts!
I have yet to acquire a portion that will grow and not melt.
I have many many portions that grows and then after a little while it'll just melt.
Emersed or submersed, either way. If someone has a secret, let me know =)

Btw, lovely tank~ Yes, I can never find the roots on riccia neither! Nice tank!
Thanks eternity302! Yeah! I thought it was the CO2, well it must have played a part but still melted. I've read on many forums and discussions but they are all contradicting! Figured I'll do riccia instead since I'm going to have shrimps I don't want to risk fertilizing too much.

It's hard to find the shrimps sometimes, but when they do come out, they really stand out!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
It's not the CO2
I tested injected CO2, metricide half dose, metricide full strength, emersed single T5HO, double T5HO, 2 inch raise, 3 inch raise, up to 5 inch raise. different moisture levels and different soil. =( none, absolutely NONE!
The only growing way I found working for it to grow was low on nutrients and low on moisture level in emersed. Don't ask why, I have no clue. It grew from 2 inch diameter to 4 inch diameter, and it started drying up. eventually i had to spray some moisture to make sure it survives.. immediately after it melted in 2 days completely.

Anyhow, haha, if you get shrimplets, you know who to call and trade =D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not the CO2
I tested injected CO2, metricide half dose, metricide full strength, emersed single T5HO, double T5HO, 2 inch raise, 3 inch raise, up to 5 inch raise. different moisture levels and different soil. =( none, absolutely NONE!
The only growing way I found working for it to grow was low on nutrients and low on moisture level in emersed. Don't ask why, I have no clue. It grew from 2 inch diameter to 4 inch diameter, and it started drying up. eventually i had to spray some moisture to make sure it survives.. immediately after it melted in 2 days completely.

Anyhow, haha, if you get shrimplets, you know who to call and trade =D
Wow that's some determination and dedication! Hmm maybe if it's planted in sand it might do better since low nutrients? It's supposed to catch insects for N, C source. I guess you could catch insects for it lol... hmmm if emmersed is already so hard then submerged will be a nightmare! Some people have success with UG though, it's like if it grows okay and gets used to the environment, then it grows like wild fire. Oh well, maybe I'll try UG again some other time.

Yes :) I will look for you for shrimp trading! How does your tank look like, you have a journal? I'll look up your profile too :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts