British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an upside-down catfish from PJ's Pets the other day, for my girlfriend, because she bought one about 6 months ago and it disappeared.

This new one is all black, sleek looking, really pretty and only about 3 inches long.

Anyway, yesterday I was cleaning her tank, because she's away, and I lifted up her log to clean algae off it, and out swim two upside down catfish, and they are completely different! One of them looks like a large, fat, brown cory.

So now it turns out we have two upside-down catfish, and they are clearly not the same species, so I'm like "what did I buy? o.o"

A little (late) internet research suggests I have somehow ended up with another massive fish, with various sources saying the Mystus Leucophasis grows from 8 to 18 inches, and some people saying it's calm and friendly, and others saying it will eat anything smaller than it. (Thanks PJ's!)

Looks like this one, very nice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not the first time PJ's has done that. When I was just starting out in the hobby they tricked me into buying a Chinese algae eater that was labeled as a Siamese. I didn't even realize I had bought something else until it started getting bigger... and bigger... etc.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I wouldn't complain =) You can buy a German Blue Ram for the price of a Bolivian Ram =) LOL!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts