British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm compiling a list of small and for the most part, peaceful fish to stock my 33g planted. Hopefully some of them will be on my LFS's stock list. I already had the pictures downloaded of what I've found so far, I thought I'd post them here. Would appreciate any other suggestions.

Pygmy Sunfish
tumblr_niuty4xXYV1u49g59o1_1280.jpg
Amazing little fish:

Honey Gourami
a3242e41d27aa8c27018f7b160138815.jpg

German Blue Ram
drp26vmntzqzliztinh6.jpg

Red Swordtail
red_swordtail.jpg

Neon Blue Rasbora
Sundadanio-axelrodi-blue.jpg

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I wouldn't classify those as nano fish. They really are medium sized. The Swordtails can grow quite large. Many of the tetras would fall into the size range you're looking for, and be sure to consider some of the Corydoras catfish. There are tons of fish that fit your purpose.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wouldn't classify those as nano fish. They really are medium sized. The Swordtails can grow quite large. Many of the tetras would fall into the size range you're looking for, and be sure to consider some of the Corydoras catfish. There are tons of fish that fit your purpose.
I was going to add, that a few were just fish I was interested in. I just thought the title sounded good. And most of what I'll be posting are nano fish. I'm almost sure I'll have a school/shoal(don't know the right term) of six pygmy corys.

They look pretty cute when there's a bunch of them.
dwarfCory.jpg

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think fish can classify as nano fish if they can live happily in a 10 gallon tank. (Unless people don't consider 10 gallon a nano tank. =P)

It really depends on what kind aquarium you want. You have 1 or 2 big fish or a army of school fish. Personally I love school fish, my 45 gallon tank has over 100 fishes but they are school of small fishes. (CPD, Neon tetra, green neon tetra, cardinal tetra, rummy nose tetra, albino cory, peacock goby, blue neon goby, oto and army of pygmy cory and shrimps.) You have a 33g tank ans you can have a pair angel fish or 3 pearl Gourami (1 male 2 female) as well.

Small fish is hard to view at distance compare large fish, however it does make you feel tank isn't empty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think fish can classify as nano fish if they can live happily in a 10 gallon tank. (Unless people don't consider 10 gallon a nano tank. =P)

It really depends on what kind aquarium you want. You have 1 or 2 big fish or a army of school fish. Personally I love school fish, my 45 gallon tank has over 100 fishes but they are school of small fishes. (CPD, Neon tetra, green neon tetra, cardinal tetra, rummy nose tetra, albino cory, peacock goby, blue neon goby, oto and army of pygmy cory and shrimps.) You have a 33g tank ans you can have a pair angel fish or 3 pearl Gourami (1 male 2 female) as well.

Small fish is hard to view at distance compare large fish, however it does make you feel tank isn't empty.
How are the gobies? They get along? They look like interesting fish.

·
Registered
379 Posts
How are the gobies? They get along? They look like interesting fish.
Whcih goby? While both are peaceful in community tank, however I do read Peacock goby can be aggressive toward small fish such as tetra during breeding. (Same as Pygmy Gourami or sparkling gourami.)

Peacock goby are beautiful fish, you need to have some kind of cave for them in case they decide to breed. (Male will guard the egg once feamle lay them.) I believe they may eat shrimps if you plan to have any. I hardly see my shrimps than again I have really dense plants and carpet. I only saw large adults once a while.

Blue neon goby is also interesting. They will eat algae if they are hungry; however since they are really scavenger don't expect them to replace Oto and keep the tank clean. They are peaceful to other fish but can be seem challenge each other.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cherry Shrimp
cherrysuper8ak.1.jpg

Orange Eye Tiger Shrimp
oebt-orange-eye-blue-tiger-shrimp__03569_zoom.jpg

Amano Shrimp
shrimp-amano-caridina-japonica.jpg

It's a tough call for me with the shrimp because there's a good chance the rams and the goby will eat and/or terrorize them into hiding. The larger amano would stand a better chance I think.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cherry Shrimp
View attachment 109097

Orange Eye Tiger Shrimp
View attachment 109105

Amano Shrimp
View attachment 109113

It's a tough call for me with the shrimp because there's a good chance the rams and the goby will eat and/or terrorize them into hiding. The larger amano would stand a better chance I think.
I believe Orange Eye Tiger shrimps are expensive (17 dollars per shrimp from shrimp fever. Expensive snack for German blue ram.) and they are not as easy to take care as Cherry shrimps. You need a shrimp only tank and only you build large enough colony you can move them into community tank.

Amano shrimps can grow big enough. (2 inch.) and they are great for algae cleaning. The only down side is that you can't breed them in fresh water aquarium.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
The only ones I consider nano fish are the scarlet, Galaxy, Phoenix, mosquito, emerald which actually get bigger, habrosus and Pygmy cories, clown killies, licorice gouramis, Pygmy gouramis, stiphodon are good, shrimp of course . Owe tiny fidh will be good with shrimp. The live bearers other than endlers, and the rest of the livebesrers you listed will most likely eat shrimp or the babies.
Swordtails need a lot of space and get quite large and fast. Thread find, furcata rainbow and gertrudi, and lampeye stay quite small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Yes at my store. I carry many nano fish.
I also have neon stiphodons, strawberry rasboras, lamp eyes, Pygmy cories, Galaxy or celestial, ember tetras, shrimp etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes at my store. I carry many nano fish.
I also have neon stiphodons, strawberry rasboras, lamp eyes, Pygmy cories, Galaxy or celestial, ember tetras, shrimp etc.
That's awesome. I may have to take a trip over!

Is this the lamp eye you speak of?
lampeye-panchax-01.jpg

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Yes not too many left though a customer from 100 mile house took most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts