British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Last night, my planted nano tank containing 6 cherry shrimp, 2 endlers and 2 otocinclus was unplugged. The heater and filter were both off for probably 12 hours and the tank dropped to about 66 degrees from 78. I think it's likely that the biological cycle crashed, given that the filter was turned off.

I'd like to save my fish and shrimp. I've let the tank heat up slowly, done a large water change and rinsed the filter in tank water. I'll do partial water changes every day for the next month or so, I guess. Do you have any other suggestions? Ammonia right now seems to be at zero.

Thank you,
Maureen

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Keep a super close eye on that ammonia testing 3 times a day at different time. Prime ammonia if there is any. Prime last 24-48hrs then you have to dose again. Your bacteria would have only died if it ran out of air in the water or was not submerged. Good luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
I won't worry too much since your tank is planted tank as plants will use ammonia and nitrite as food source as well instead just Nitrate. However You probably shouldn't need to do that large water change as panic move, now i worry the large water change shocked and kill the shrimps and otos. You should only do that if the water smell funny and you notice ammonia spike after you turn on the filter.

Bacteria inside the filter shouldn't die due to unplugged as well besides good bacteria also live on gravel and plants as well and they help rebuild the bacteria inside the filter.

If you really worry about bacteria, continue monitor the water and add seachem stability if needed.

I don't think I ever cycle the tank when I do heavy planted tank but that is just me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts