British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Interesting idea, but....
What happens after the iron builds up for a period of years though?
Its a good idea but I think I would want it in an area that could be accessed for cleaning and inspection of built up deposites.
I am just getting ready to install a main line water filter myself
Of course this is all easy for me to say since I am a ticketed plumber....

·
Registered
157 Posts
i think thats a quack job. the most you would remove out of water would be non-ionized metal form iron. No ions that we care about in water are metallic even if they were uncharged. the magnets do not have sufficient magnetic field strength to try to control the ions in a fast moving contained water environment. they will just merrily flow away not even knowing they passed by a field.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
This site is almost comical. If the iron were not oxidized and are raw iron particles, sure. But if it's an ion, how will you remove it? Also what about Ca, Mg, and all the other minerals which make the water hard? Anyone who understands basic mineralogy would laugh at that site.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do the peat pellets lower the Ph and soften the water aswell? would that be the best way to do both other than Ro units cause they are pretty pricey?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone have any idea how to get crushed coral out of a mixed subtrate? mayb e a gravel vac?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Haven't we discussed this many times? (Quote that I'm not trying to be mean at all)
Almond leaves, driftwood, aquarium salt! =) there ya go!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i know i was just confused why i would put coral in my filter when its going to do the opposite of what i want

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
=) I'm just guessing that someone wuzn't reading correctly!
But those are the only alternatives i know of, unless someone else knows more!

·
Registered
743 Posts
yeah i know i was just confused why i would put coral in my filter when its going to do the opposite of what i want
I think what they meant was to use a bag next time instead of mixing directly with the substrate.
I just got rid of all my gravel personally. It was too much effort to remove it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah ibought the gravel with the tank it was premixed i didnt even know it was coral. i read that salt also raises the GH aswell...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
yeah ibought the gravel with the tank it was premixed i didnt even know it was coral. i read that salt also raises the GH aswell...
No clue, I always added it in my pea puffer tank that I had for a few months! and never had a problem!

But can anyone tell me the difference of the epsom salt and aquarium salt, completely forgot what which is which is for! LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts