British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got some shrimps which are really cute, but smaller than I expected. The idea was to be pets, not food :( I put the biggest one which is about 15 mm or so and my betta started to chase it right away. The shrimp is really fast and manage to get away, but I am not sure if that was a good idea at all :( I just turned the light and the filter off and will see what will be the situation in the morning. I left the rest of the shrimps in a box with piece of hornwort for the night.
Any advices are welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really don't think there is a solution for this. My wife has a betta in a 5g tank along with some Amano shrimp. They are totally fine together as the amano's are large enough to not be eaten. She tried some cherry shrimp in the past with zero luck. Put 6 of them in the tank and they were ALL gone the next morning, they were quite small, probably the size of the ones you have.

That was one fat betta heh.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see :( As I said I was hoping they would be bigger and now I feel real bad :(
I guess I better ask the seller if I can return them :(

Thanks for the advice :(

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update that the shrimp survived the night. I've spent some time watching and it doesn't seem like Rainbow (our betta) can really catch it, the guy/gal is really fast :) I setup as small jar with plants, etc. (thanks to wsl advice) for the rest of the shrimp. And I wonder if leaving the one in the tank is OK for both sides? I am a bit more confident that the shrimp will survive, but Rainbow spents almost all of his time looking for it, no more bubble nests, etc. since yesterday evening (I know, a bit early to draw conclusions). And I wonder if the shrimp is OK living like that?
Need some advice/feedback if that level of stress is rather normal for these guys or they will suffer the happiness.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would remove that shrimp from that tank if I were you. He will be dead sooner or later if you leave him with the betta.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a shrimp in with a couple of bettas, they never ate it. Probably because it was able to be in the moss. Although the shrimp did try and chase the betta away from the bloodworms several times.
I also had shrimp with guppies...not a good idea, haha. Even though the shrimp were the same size as the fish, the guppies hunted in packs to kill the poor shrimp.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considering I set this small jar for the rest of the shrimps I guess I better get this one out.
Maybe if they really get to 1" at some point it would be OK to put them back.
I just was not in the idea of making another tank/jar for the shrimps, the idea was different :(

CCBettas, how big was the shrimp? These guys are really small as I said. I can't imagine one fo them chasing Rainbow :) It manages to hide and walk around decorations and plants, but I am not sure that is a happy living for him. Same as Rainbow who is spending the time looking for thr shrimp instead of enjoying life :) Or maybe that is the normal life of bettas and shrimps?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts