British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a little otocinclus in my tank which used to live with white clouds. I feed micro-granules to the white clouds (daily) and supplement the otocinclus with Herbivores veggie rounds (2-3 little millimeter sized pieces once a week). This works pretty well as the white clouds do not touch the veggie rounds so the otocinclus has plenty of time to locate its food.

However, I recently add guppies to the tank and I immediately encounter a problem : the guppies like both the veggie rounds and the micro-granules. This means they could be in the danger of being over-fed and the otocinclus does not have enough time to find its veggie rounds before the guppies finish them.

May I ask if anyone has some suggestions to this? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I always have the same problem. I reduced this from happening by feeding them once the guppies are all resting after lights out. Guppies will eat anything, if you can't ever feed your oto then you might want to consider another tank and get him some buddies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try feeding just before lights out.
I always have the same problem. I reduced this from happening by feeding them once the guppies are all resting after lights out. Guppies will eat anything, if you can't ever feed your oto then you might want to consider another tank and get him some buddies.
Thanks, I will give it a try tonight. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just wash it well, cut out the soft pulp and seeds, and throw it into the tanks. Seeds seem to bung up my filtration, and by not boiling or freezing, it seems last longer in the tanks. I use small blocks of marine grade SS, and elastics to hold it down. Works for me, but multiple ways of doing it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
An Otocinclus feeds on soft algae buildup growing on hard surfaces of the tank. That's why its important to make sure the tank is clean, but not “too clean”. Otocinclus food can also include supplements such as algae wafers and even some fresh vegetables like green zucchini slices.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Honestly I've had 2 ottos for years and never specifically fed them. They just eat the algae in my tank and are healthy. (Low tech, heavily planted tank)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts