British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have what will quickly become a grossly overstocked tank and would like some ideas on size, filtration, plants, etc. that would be suitable for the fish I have?

1 tiger oscar
1 tiger panaque
5 silver dollars
3 cockatoo apistos
6 archer cories
1 banjo catfish

The oscar and the silver dollars are babies right now but they will all get very big very fast. I was thinking 125G. Is that big enough?

I would like the plants so that the cories have adequate hiding space. I also have a number of large rocks (which form small caves) and large driftwood which I will be adding to.

It terms of filtration, I currently run an Eheim 2234 and a small HOB filter. I want to add to this rather than replacing it so that I have 2 external filters running.

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be great :)

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Sophie, you saw the 125 I have. That had a 9" Tiger Oscar and that 10" Chocolate Cichlid, and the now 8" JD (was about 6") then, 4 humungous silver dollars and 12-13" Sailfin pleco in there without any problems, so I would say a 125 is adequate for your needs. I would suggest however, getting a tank that is 24" wide like a shallow 150 or a 180 gallon because you can do a lot more with a wider tank in terms of planting and scaping. Or you can go with a 4x2x2 120 gallon. What I have found is that 4 foot tanks save a lot of money in some ways, such as one 4 foot light instead of two 3 foot lights, etc. In terms of plants, unless you inject CO2 like I do, you're going to have a tough time with that Oscar and the silver dollars. The SD's really chew through the plants, while the O will uproot them. Hopefully, I'm not discouraging you, but it's something to think about.

For filtration, if you're not going to inject CO2, I would say a sump will give you the most flexibility and can add to the water volume. If you want to stay away from a sump, I would suggest the bigger Eheims (like the 2080) or an FX5 or 2.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have considered that with the plants and I'm not set yet on what I want to do. I would love to provide my smaller guys with some plant coverage but if it will be so fleeting it is hardly worth it. If I anchor the plants, is there anything that might survive the SD? I will not be injecting C02 immediately.

I would have to go with the 4'x2'x2' because I already have the lighting and can't afford to replace it. Unfortunately I also can't afford the 2080 or the FX5. I would looove to have a filter like that on my tank!

Oh, and I'm running an Eheim 2234. I've fixed that in the original post.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found that with tiger oscar and silver dollars, you better off getting other bigger tankmates.
When I switch them over to a 125G I will be carefully considering who is going where. I might choose to keep both tanks running so that I can still have my baby Amazonian fish. Then I don't have to worry!

I have those equas (which I realize I didn't list on the top) which will inevitably get eaten if I leave them in there much longer so they are coming out now and going into one of our other tanks. So far they are being left alone but I don't want to take chances.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Not sure how long the Apistos will survive the Oscar. They vary from individual to individual. I had 30+ cories and the baby EBJD's with my O no problem, but because of their big mouths, O's can swallow a lot of fish, and they often try, with tragic results (O chokes to death).

As for plants, my tank is full of Java Fern and Anubias, and Vals, and they seem to survive ok as long as you plant where the O tolerates it. The SD's shred them up a bit, but they grow fast enough that it won't matter. I tried Hygrophila, Cabomba, Bacopa and all failed miserably in days from the SD's ripping them up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure how long the Apistos will survive the Oscar. They vary from individual to individual. I had 30+ cories and the baby EBJD's with my O no problem, but because of their big mouths, O's can swallow a lot of fish, and they often try, with tragic results (O chokes to death).

As for plants, my tank is full of Java Fern and Anubias, and Vals, and they seem to survive ok as long as you plant where the O tolerates it. The SD's shred them up a bit, but they grow fast enough that it won't matter. I tried Hygrophila, Cabomba, Bacopa and all failed miserably in days from the SD's ripping them up.
I am worried about the apistos but they seem to be too fast and smart for the oscar at this stage. That having been said, he is a highly predatory fish! He spends every waking minute cruising around looking for anything that will fit in his mouth!

Maybe I'll sell my 55G and replace it with one 125G tank and one 26G bowfront. Then I can put the new bowfront next to my existing one and have one Asian (the one I already have) and one Amazonian. That way I don't have to get rid of any fish! :D I would also have two awesome tanks in my bedroom:p

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yeah, a 125 in a bedroom would be sweet. Could you talk to my wife, maybe convince her that it's a good idea? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The gurgling of the water (and the humming from the FX5) might deter her. :D That's the one thing about a bigger tank. No such thing as silent. I got a 15 in my bedroom and it's virtually silent and so is my 20. But all kinds of pump and water noises from my 125 and the bigger fish.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, a 125 in a bedroom would be sweet. Could you talk to my wife, maybe convince her that it's a good idea? Thanks.
Well the two 26G would be in my bedroom (I already have one there) and then the 125G in the living room. How awesome would that be to have a 125G in your bedroom though! I completely get your point Gary about it being a little loud but we'd condition...right? lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You just missed the monstrous L330 too. :D
Oh I have so many fish that I would love to have once I get the big tank! What I would really like is another Sailfin. I already have the tiger panaque ("Pan"), so I want something with a little more attitude :D

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
May I suggest a L152 pinapple. You won't regard getting it as it is outgoing. And one of a few plecos that actually "ghost" around in the tank. They have a weird way to swim around...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well the two 26G would be in my bedroom (I already have one there) and then the 125G in the living room. How awesome would that be to have a 125G in your bedroom though! I completely get your point Gary about it being a little loud but we'd condition...right? lol
Wow, it seems like everybody's sprouting tanks and agreed a 125G would look great in the bedroom. Btw Sophie did you receive a couple of pm's from me. They were sent yesterday but when I hit "send" I got a screen saying "not logged in" both times (I was logged in) with no indication of them being sent. They were in response to your request. Mebbe I'm just a bit of a dummy.:(

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, it seems like everybody's sprouting tanks and agreed a 125G would look great in the bedroom. Btw Sophie did you receive a couple of pm's from me. They were sent yesterday but when I hit "send" I got a screen saying "not logged in" both times (I was logged in) with no indication of them being sent. They were in response to your request. Mebbe I'm just a bit of a dummy.:(
I received one message this morning and responded :) I hope there is nothing weird going on with the message system again. I can re-send if you didn't get my message.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts