British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend in Las Vegas with a tank and fish keeping dying recently, from what I have gathered the tank is cycled, no ammonia or nitrite present, and it's only started to happen recently after a period of no issues.

I have not encountered this sort of issue before, so I can't really provide much to him.

He has a mix of your typical community fish and a pleco, still waiting on specific fish types.

ph is 6, and KH is going between 0-40.

I've never had a ph that low, so unsure if it's too low for the fish, or if there is instability, which there seems to be with the fluctuating KH?

I've kept fish a long time, but I can't say this is anything I have experienced or had to try and correct.

Any suggestions?

I'll update with more info as I receive it, this is just all I have at the moment.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There could be a gazillion reasons . . . virtually impossible to assess from the information provided. Your friend would be better off having someone LOCALLY who knows aquarium chemistry to check out his tank, water and fishes.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
He could have parasites, or not enough minerals, high nitrates . Who knows. But he could stsrt by buffering up to ph 7. When ph slides fish die. First line of defence is always do a wc and clean the gravel well. Add prime and try add some equilibrium. And do t buy anymore fish for awhile. Let it stabilize and become even oh, even gh and dont overfed.

Do a wc each week for a bit .
All
Advice someone can give without knowing their water and tank. High nitrates will do it also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts