British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I was going to get my wifey here something like a necklace with diamonds or a new ring! But instead, she fell in love with a little puppy, so I asked her if she wanted it, that could be her anniversary present. As for me, I always wanted a 8 foot tank, but the regular standard dimensions were too huge to even get it into our place, so she asked if I wanted another 4 foot tank :D And ofcourse, I wanted a 4 foot tank to set right next to my other 4 foot tank =) at least it'll look like an 8 foot!

Anyways, I didn't want her to spend a fortune for it, so I slowly picked up my equipment piece by piece, but she definitely like that fact of brand new instead! Anyways, this is my first time buying all the used equipment, I promised her it'll look good at the end even though they're used, but she doesn't quite believe me! But hey, I'm the type of people who's willing to spend as much money as I can on others rather than myself!

Used tank from MyKiss $70
(Thanks for shipping it over here and resealing it)
Rena XP3 + Fluval 203 + Fluval 303 $80 - I paid for this, as I told her someone didn't want it and gave it to me, don't want her spending!
(It was used in a salt water tank, need to clean it like crazy, is this too much of an overkill for a planted tank?)
Coralife T5 N/O Double Strip And Single Strip - Own it
(Was on my old tank, bought new lighting for it instead, been sitting around)
Stingray 48x12 Black $175 including shipping
(No one sells it local, so we made the purchase online instead)

All in total, she spent $245 =) Kinda glad!
I told her I don't need gravel or anything, but I'm actually heading to JLaquatics tomorrow so she doesn't have to buy it! And instead of her buying all the extra like drop checkers and everything, I've ordered a few things on eBay so she wouldn't know unti it arrives!

Anyways, here's HER present, and this is mine! It's in my car port, currently working on it as we speak! And my motorcycles in the back as a size reference! =) If anyone was wondering, she's only 21 i think, so this might make it more understanding why I rather spend my money instead of hers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking really good so far, which dog is your new one in the picture?
=) Thanks Snow!
The left little girl is the one! She's here to join my lonely Pomeranian!
But now it's alot of barking, growling and yapping everywhere! They play fight WAY too much, it's from morning to night!

=) Gonna give it another 30 minutes, and then I'm going outside to apply a few layers of clear coat to protect the paint! :rolleyes: can't wait till the stand arrives!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice start. And good choice to save some money on used stuff.
=) Thanks Gary!

There's nothing wrong with used, just ALOT mroe work on cleaning them, and for the fluval 303, might have to find some parts! But not sure if I'm going to use all the filters! and if you're wondering, NOPE, not planning on added more fish! Basically at the moment, just planning on dividing the fish up in two tanks, dunno how long I can control myself, but I just want everyone to be fixed up, and grow my garden again! After that last disaster... and replanting... definitely not look the same nemore!

Btw.. I decided to pick up a new canister and milawuakee co2 system from Pat, how do make it so I can use CO2 for both? Just divide the lines? or do I need tat whole regulator divider?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
=) Thanks Gary, will PM you in the morning! Had a long nite with a few beers... not in the right mind to reply! LOL

Thanks onefishtwofish, she's the fourth, and the only girl!
Shanauzzer is the older, 5yrs old
Husky is 2 yr old
Pomeranian brown is 1 yr old
She's the youngest, 11 weeks old!

Definitely adorable, but alot of training indeed! waking me up from my sleep i can tell you, but you definitely cant get mad at that face!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Have fun with the setup. I am looking forward to seeing it come together. My wife has agreed to me getting a 6 footer so now I just need to find the cash. LOL

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Happy aniversary :) Love the puppy, so cute

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Happy anniversary!

Wow, both of you gave some really amazing gifts -- A 55 gallon tank! And a new puppy! Both gifts that will give you lots of enjoyment for years to come, hopefully, unlike a bouquet of flowers.

Your puppy is adorable and the dogs look very happy with each other in the photo. I hope you'll post photos of your tank when it's set up next to the other one.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Very nice start! Nothing wrong with used, I just look at it as recycling lol And definitely nothing wrong with saving money! Look forward to seeing it as it goes together. Looks like the one I just resealed which is getting up and going today, finally. Had to do some custom stuff for the stand. if you go to J&L Aquatics, make sure you go thru the fish room and check out the threadfins they have .They are some cool looking fish! Went there the other day for my substrate, went with the Flourite dark as it's super cheap there. Anyway, nice gifts , looks like it turned out to be a very Happy Anniversary

·
Registered
506 Posts
Happy Anniversary. Interesting. My wife got me started on fish tanks on our first anniversary cause she didn't know what else to get.

BTW, if your anniversary is today, it's on the same day as mine. 9 years today.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HAHA~ Thanks guys!
It's actually on the 11th, LOL!
But since she's super busy with work lately, and there's possibly no way of hiding this stuff... especially a puppy in a box under the bed definitely won't work!

Well, Good morning to everyone, and thanks for the kind words, now it's time to add a few more clear coats on top of the paint, and then head to JLaquatics! =)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I work so hard for everything already. I told the wifey I seriously have to treat myself for something!
Most of the times I can spend a fortune on my dog pack and her, but I rarely spend it on myself.
So I decided JLaquatics, I might as well see what I like and spend a little =) Not much, but hey, it's still ALOT to me!

Pimafix
Melafix
API Test Kit
API Kh/Gh Test Kit
3 Bags of 25lb gravel
Therometer for the new tank
And a HUGE jar of Tetra Color.. I bought the tetra color at petsmart, i just couldn't resist, just one INSANE price. I think it's a 7.2oz or something, dun remember, but it was only $16 bux~

And the last photo here is my tag on the wrist when registering at the ER.
Anyways, the tank will have to sit, since I still haven't got my stand yet.. and i won't be able to carry something 4 foot with one broken knee! :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decided that I HATE the rim on the top and the bottom of the aquarium.. it just makes it look sooo old and scratched! So I took the tank out now, and gonna repaint the whole rim! And yes... I look like an idiot once again, now my neighbors all think I'm crazy HAHA!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got a friend that came in and moved my tank to the third floor for me! THANKS JOHN!

Anyways, This was a dirty used tank that Pat resealed and added glass brace aswell!

And Pat, if you're reading, yes, it looks new right?
That's because I completely cleaned it out! Didn't like the oak color trim on the rim, so I repainted the rims to black with about 8 coats of clearcoat on it to protect from scratches! And then I painted the background to black and added 3 layers of clearcoat incase any eletrical wires or hosing scratches the back!
Bought a few pieces of wood for about $25 bux in total! They'll be planted with anubias, and the left side.. those plants won't stay there, as it's only for helping cycle the tank! I'll be adding some different slow growers on the left!

This tank is going to be different than my main tank, as I'm going to put slow growing plants, more wood, and leave ALOT more swimming space for the guys to grow!
Most likely going to add a XP4 with control valves and going to pick up my CO2 tank from Pat as soon as my leg feels a little better!

Otherwise, everything's pretty much done! :D
Will keep everyone updated.. if you're still reading! :rolleyes:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts