British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nematodes in my 8 gallon tank, I think. I have no fish in it. Becaise i had to take everything out There was like thousands in the gravel. If I moved the gravel a bit, Maybe 100 would swim around. Anyway my question is, How do i get rid of them? Before I add fish? I have hated them for Months. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nematodes, or roundworms.....or could be uneaten foods and cause a planaria bloom......since no fish in that tank and may just use bleach and sterilize the tank and start over

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can also treat the tank to save destroying an already cycled tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since no fish in that tank and may just use bleach and sterilize the tank and start over
I don't really want to start over, Do they hate salt because i can add salt, the fish I'm adding can live with alot of salt, Like, Guppies(males) yeah. thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
They could be either planaria or detritus worms .. Both are harmless to fish , except planaria can be somewhat dangerous to the tiniest of fry ..
Don't bleach the tank.. The "worms" are there because of uneaten food in the gravel.. You can take the gravel out and wash it .That will get rid of the worms and when their food is gone they won't come back. If you use treated water to clean the gravel , you won't lose the beneficial bacteria in it . Straight tap water is likely to kill most of the nitrifying bacteria in the gravel.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you have plants or something you don't want to disturb by cleaning the gravel , the "worms" will die out eventually if you don't add any food to the tank .. There usually always are a few in all aquariums , but they never multiply to be noticeable unless there is an excess of food for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts