British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully kept Neocaridina with aged, dechlorinated tap water?
When I do 10% water changes for my 5.5 gallon sometimes I may find one dead. On one occasion I did a 30% water change due to high nitrates. The water was dechlorinated, aged, temperature acclimated, mixed with some old tank water, and slowly poured in over a period of 40 minutes or so. The water change killed three shrimps in 1 day and the last one died in 2 days.
Would amano shrimps be a better fit for our soft tap water?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't have too much problem keeping neocardina with tap water. I do 50% water change weekly straight tap.

The 10 gallon barebottom I have the blue dream from Aprils aquarium is densely filled with fissiden fontanus and a couple pieces of driftwood.
This is a non heated tank (temperature range from 18c to 28c throughout the year), sponge filter, and no CO2 injection - low light tank.
I feed them new life spectrum Thera A once a day.
pH hovers around 6.8 after fertilizer - haven't tested in a couple years - no pH buffer product and no gH boost product.

I do add bulk fertilizer back into the water after each water change - i.e. Calcium nitrate, mag sulphate, trace minerals (plantprod trace + kelp meal tea), etc. 0 aquarium brand product.

We can use a bit more information. Is the tank planted?, any driftwood? What food are they on? what type of lighting? Is any minerals (fertilizer) added to the water? How long have you had the neocardina?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also got the shrimps from Aprils Aquarium (South Vancouver). They were fire red cherry shrimps. Tank has moss balls, java moss, hornworts, some fake plants, and driftwood. Their diet consists of biofilm/algae, sinking shrimp pellets for bottom feeders, and cucumber. There is no fertilizer. Any mineral would be from the tap water. I do add egg shells in the filter for calcium. Lighting is the standard light that came with the tank, under 10W. I had the shrimps for about four weeks without any problems until I had to start doing more water changes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Neocardinia don't need much algae or veggie matter. Mine doesn't touch veggie flakes.

Do you have fish in the tank feeding off the cucumber? Do you have any other fish food?

Personally, I would stop feeding cucumber and add trace minerals for plants and or shrimp. Contrary to what some people say about 0 copper for keeping inverts, shrimp do need a minute amount of copper to thrive.

If you have kelp meal, you can make kelp meal tea. That would be a lot better than using trace for plants. This does require electrical conductivity meter to not overshoot the concentration or lack of.

I put 1/4 cup of kelp meal in a 20 gallon tank. Have a sponge filter to help breakdown the kelp meal. If I add too much kelp meal, the tank end up anaerobic and start to stink. Measure the solution and target electrical conductivity to about 1200 - add 2.5 ml to 10 gallon once a week after water change. I have add up to 7.5 ml to 10 gallon without any problem. Normally I mixed both plantprod trace and kelp meal for my planted tanks.

Not sure what other uses for trace minerals for shrimp. Don't need as much supplies buying an already made product for aquarium use

Font Material property Number Document Parallel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two guppies in there do not touch the cucumber, not even the snails. I feed them fish flakes so some might sink and end up getting eaten by the shrimps.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The only reason the shrimp would die from a water change is either:
1. The water change is introducing something toxic into the tank.
2. The water change is causing a big swing in water chemistry.

Are you changing the water due to high nitrates? I would suggest decreasing the feedings, increasing the plants and trying to do less water changes. The other thing to try is to use RO water with a remineralizer to a target GH when doing water changes. Really shouldn't be necessary for RCS but might be worth trying.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
High nitrates (>20 maybe close to 40). Added an anubia & got some Saggitaria subulata on the way. Do you guys use airline tubes to let the water drip during small water changes?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use a python hose and fill the tanks straight from tap aimed at the glass to reduce the flow rate for the 10, 20 and 50 gallon. For the the 75G I have a gravel vac at the end of the python to disperse the flow.
50% to 75% once a week. twice a week if I been stirring up the gravel / substrate with planting.

Greater Vancouver water is quite good with very little minerals.

Metro Vancouver's drinking water pH and alkalinity to increase this spring | Urbanized

1 - 9 of 9 Posts