British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found a headless red cherry shrimp today and i couldn't figure out what happened to it. The only livestock in the tank are about 15 RCS and 10 neon tetras. From what I've read, neon tetras are good tankmates for RCS.

However, I just caught a neon tetra biting the legs off a passing RCS, and then proceeding to devour it. :eek:

Has anyone had this happen before??

·
Registered
318 Posts
maybe you didn't feed your live stocks enough..and then again RCS are small..and might seem like a nice snack...maybe your RCS died..and the fishes and the other shrimps might dine on the dead shrimp..it pretty normal

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have 25 neons in my tank together with probably around a hundred RCS, and I've never seen anything like that happen before. I would suggest that you feed your tetra well, and make sure that the shrimp have plenty of hiding spaces (i.e. a big clump of moss or such).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm thanks for the replies. I will try to feed them a bit more. I fed them according to the 2 minute twice a day rule of thumb.

I do have a good amount of plants for them to hide but only on one side of the tank. I will be looking into adding more in the near future for the other side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If they can fit it in their mouths, they'll eat them.

While in a lot of cases neons might be ok with shrimps, if they can catch them, they'll eat them if they're hungry. :) Even if a fish is listed as 'safe' to be kept with shrimp, there is still that possibility.

Mike

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think i will start a rcs species tank for my gf's sake. She loves the shrimp more than the fish...

·
Registered
41 Posts
all I can say is...neons are related to piranha :O
a friend of mine who keeps shrimps says that rummy nosed tetras will eat them in a red hot minute. I think i wouldnt keep them with any fish that like meat....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts