British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has kept neons outside for the summer? I have a tank outside with a koi fry that managed to survive the last spawn. He's alone and I wanted to give him some friends. The neons I have are just a tad bigger than him.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you heat the water you can, I kept White Clouds in my pond outside for 10 years but they had an 1800 watt titanium heater heating it in the winter and mildly warming in the summer.

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
White Clouds are far hardier. It would take a lot of heat to keep a pond warm enough all winter for neons.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
White cloud mountain minnows are cool water fish. Neons are far too sensitive (bred too many generations in captivity) and would not do well outside with the temperature swings between night and day, and between hot days and cold, rainy days. Check out some minnows, White Clouds, etc. as more viable alternatives.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I threw some minnows in the pond yesterday actually. They are there temporarily until I get the pond taken down. Darn mosquitos. I guess I will just wait until the koi gets a bit bigger then get him a goldfish buddy.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
If you submerse a plastic insulated ice chest without the lid in the pond and put the heater/submersible in the chest it will keep that water warmer than the surrounding pond.

You will need to experiment and monitor the temperature achieved/

good luck

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't do it to the fish. I'm a chicken lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts