British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The description is as follows:
The Dymax IQ3 Acrylic Aquarium is a stunning, high-quality mini acrylic aquarium complete with lighting and integrated filtration. Constructed from ultra-clear and durable 1/4" acrylic, the IQ3 has no sharp edges, and is stronger and safer than glass. The filtration is hidden behind the built-in black acrylic false wall, and uses an overflow to keep the surface of the aquarium clear of oily buildup. The Bio-Sponge filter uses a diffusion plate to ensure even flow of water through the filter media; ensuring optimal performance. The compact return pump has great flow, and uses a small duck-bill nozzle to create a strong, yet gentle flow throughout the aquarium. The Dymax IQ3 comes complete with the Robot LED system - a slim, bright, and energy efficient dimmable fixture.

The build quality is great and we are pleased to see they constructed the aquarium from 1/4" acrylic making the IQ3 very sturdy. The back chamber can easily fit a small heater, as well as be converted to a refugium for those reefers out there who care to do so (we have tested the unit here). The LED light it comes with is capable of keeping plants, algaes, and some soft corals a live and growing. More of the ROBOT dimmable LED's can be added (up to 3 total) to the unit to increase light output for more light demanding organisms.

Check out the great price of these units by following the links below!!!
DynaMax IQ3 by following THIS LINK!
The ROBOT LED lights can be purchased separately by following THIS LINK!

Save 15% with BCAQUARIA coupon and receive FREE SHIPPING!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Interesting, Europe had similar setups for awhile now. Glad to see them finally showing up and available here.

·
Registered
636 Posts
believe it's 3 gallons. Great looking tank and looks to be a great intro package for a new reefer.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Hey, Big Als Rep! I like the look of that tank. For one thing, it's the first tank I've seen that lets you wipe up spills underneath it. My small acrylic Eclipse tanks have a way of sucking water underneath them because their bottoms aren't completely flat.

Thank you for increasing your stock of nano tanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This little Pico setup allows just about anyone to have a slice of the ocean. Please remember that being smaller doesn't mean easier. Pico aquariums can be just as challenging as a 100 gallon aquarium. I'm still waiting for the exact dimensions & actual volume.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
True...
I think it's about 2.2 gallons. I found this online: "The IQ3 aquarium is just over 2 gallons with 8.66" x 6.69" x 8.66"

Here's a thread started by someone who planted one of these:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-nano-tanks/100404-dymax-nano-tank.html

I can see this being a planted desktop shrimp tank. Or I could see some baby killifish being happy in here for awhile. Some people might like it for their betta. I think it works best for someone with other tanks, where they can move the fish into a bigger tank when they've outgrown this little one. And, as you mention, someone who is experienced with water conditions (except perhaps for a betta -- planted, this would be much easier to work with than a little bowl).

This little Pico setup allows just about anyone to have a slice of the ocean. Please remember that being smaller doesn't mean easier. Pico aquariums can be just as challenging as a 100 gallon aquarium. I'm still waiting for the exact dimensions & actual volume.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Has anyone seen these available locally?
I'm taking down my turtle tank at work so I need something to replace it on my desk.
I might have to give the shrimp tank thing a try or a pico reef. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for the lighting, Dymax doesn't give the exact specs. The fixture has all cool white LEDs which I would compare to about 12K~14K by the looks of them. They are not high wattage, the whole fixture claims to run off less than 4 watts. However low the wattage is, it still seems to be capable of sustaining plants and low light corals. I would probably use 2 or 3 ROBOT LED fixtures if keeping any corals. Low light plants like anubias, crypts, java moss, java fern etc. will be fine under the single fixture the tank comes with.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I'm going to try planting this tank when it arrives (this week, I hope!). I've never tried java moss, but I might give that a try this time. If the light isn't strong enough, then I'll put the tank near a window. Otherwise, I hope to be able to keep it on my desk.

I'm pretty excited -- I hope to have some endler babies in this tank soon. My endlers are in one of Munster's 8 gallon rimless tanks, and I've got a 12 gallon waiting for them, too, but I think that the nano tank might work for some of the fry. It will be fun to try, anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts