British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at J&L Aquatics today. They have a new bio media. It comes in large tim bit sizes or in a decent size block. A few different options Has anyone heard of this stuff or tried it? Font Ball Publication Advertising Carmine

·
Registered
560 Posts
There used to be a very porous block, made to fit into the old Aquaclear Hob's. I had a couple, and they worked great. Haven't seen them in years. I wonder if it's a similar product?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was recently doing research into this product and it has excellent reviews. Even used in some well-known professional aquariums. It's purely for nitrifying bacteria since there is no carbon component to the media. If you are after aerobic denitrification and phosphate scrubbing, this won't do anything for that.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I'm using that stuff in one of my sump and it works. I can't say it works better than matrix or eheim stuff. I think if I had to do it again I might try the blocks. Just makes it easier for maintenance. The balls are not super solid, and when hit will crumble somewhat.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
I use hydroton. Since it's made in Germany for the aquaponics/greenhouse industry, the quality is excellent and the price is very reasonable compared to anything "specifically" made for the aquarium industry.

·
Registered
613 Posts
+1 on the hydroton. You can buy 50l bag of it for around $30. I get mine from Jon's plant factory on Hastings. Using for a trickle filter, in a canister and also as the grow media for my outdoor aquaponic garden. Works as good as anything I've used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if plain old, Lava Rock would be as good? I've heard it does well....What do you all think? It's easy to find in the neighbors garden too! :lol:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Lava rock does work. But it's all a matter of degree - how well does it work and how much of it do you need. Lava rock will work better than bioballs but expanded clay (hydroton) will work better and Marine Pure will be slightly better still. It's all a matter of how much surface area there is for the bacteria.

I also use hydroton - together with Right Now bacteria. I have absolutely no issues with ammonia (NH3), nitrites or nitrates.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Marine pure is not bad, it's so big though it's probably better off in sumps. Siporax is simply the best biomedia you can buy, I had to buy some out of Austria though (lol). Ehfisubstrat pro is also good and more readily available.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's probably better to start giving actual published surface area data for the media instead of people saying "mine's better than yours". Apples to apples, you know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's probably better to start giving actual published surface area data for the media instead of people saying "mine's better than yours". Apples to apples, you know.
Actual surface area isn't the end all answer - Some pores are simply too small and over time will get clogged with either detritus or dead bacteria and become useless. Matrix is about the highest out there next to ehfisubstrat pro, and it's basically pumice.

Matrix and Siporax will also start nitrifying after three or four months, given enough quanitity in the filter and slow enough water movement.

Absorbtion rate is also important;

IMO mechanical filtration, followed by Siporax followed by Matrix or ehfisubstrat is way more bio probably than anyone needs but is a really hard to beat setup.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Agreed I think most of this stuff is way more bio than any of us need. If you have extreme space limitations you might want to consider the higher surface area products. I selected mine based on ease of maintenance as well. May try bagging media with filter bags as well which again makes it easier to clean.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts