British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW PICS Jan.27 - SeaHorse_Fanatic's new Dual RR Cube (2' & 30") Tanks Journal

So, finally got all the equipment and pieces for doing my dual teardown & new RR cube tank builds.

First of all, had to teardown my non-RR 2' cube that I've had going for about 6-7 years at least.

Replaced this with a RR 2' cube that I bought back from my friend Laurie "The Guy". This much traveled tank looks and works great. Fits exactly into the existing stand/setup but is Reef-Ready and now plumbed into the common sump (2' x 2' x 1' high) under the other cube tank.

My friend John giving me a hand plumbing the tanks together (usually I would do it but he volunteered and who am I to say No? :wink:)

At the same time, had to tear down my RSM 130 and tripled the volume by changing it over to a 30" x 30" x 24" semi-cube RR tank.

The stand is only 26" tall so I built a "stand" for the stand out of a 2x10 from RONA and painted black. You can see the 2x10 in the bottom right corner before I finished with the touchup painting job. Here's also the final plumbing job and it all works beautifully.

Here's the new bigger cube getting topped up with IO water.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I pulled an all-nighter to get the tank setups finished and to transfer in all my livestock, live rock and newly washed sand bed (was outside in shorts & t-shirt washing sand with my garden hose at 4 in the morning):redface: First pics of newly set up reef -

93g Starfire RR semi-cube (30" x 30" x 24")
Black stand with 2x10 "lift"
Custom DIY LED with 10w emitters (3 blues - 445nm & 460nm) & 3 whites (6500k; 10000k; 20000k) and a single center 1w blue LED moonlight. Its got built in timers and dimmer switches on each pendant controlling blues & whites separately.

Pic of 93g cube from the livingroom side

2' RR cube

These are pics taken on Thursday morning shortly after setup was completed. Started the teardown and new builds Wednesday afternoon. Finally got to sleep around 10:30 am Thursday.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's now day 4 and I've had the skimmer running for a couple of days. Here's what 2 days of skimmate looks like with my Deltec Recirc skimmer using Aquabee 2000 pump:

Pic taken by Felicia

Here's a wider view of sump section:

Have an 18w Coralife UV sterilizer and a Jebao DC6000 return pump. Will be adding a couple of media reactors containing Hydroton bioballs and ROWA phos, as well as hanging a bag of Purigen in the sump.

Here's pics of the tanks on day 4:

From my work desk - 93g RR Starfire cube

From dining room

From living room

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And here's my main display reef (165g custom Starfire with external overflow on right side with custom DIY lights (28 x 10w emitters - blues 445nm & 460nm; whites are 6500k, 10000k, 20000k) and 90g wide sump utilizing a Deltec recirc skimmer and new Jebao DC6000 return pump.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Love the dimensions of those square tanks. Looks awesome. Looking at your tanks I really wished I had gone with an LED pendant now. Maybe time for a new canopy (I can't have light spillage like the way you have it as my wife doesn't like that glare in the living room. Did you build those LED's or did your buddy do them for you?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
WOW!!!!! very nice!!!!! John, I hope you at least got nice dinner out of this lol... I just got my lottomax tickets.. I can get 10 saltwater tanks like these and 10 apisto tanks if I win lol

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW!!!!! very nice!!!!! John, I hope you at least got nice dinner out of this lol... I just got my lottomax tickets.. I can get 10 saltwater tanks like these and 10 apisto tanks if I win lol
He got a nice lunch (Kuching laksa), some $$ and I still owe him dinner (sushi). Diztrbds a great guy and his time & help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Guess this post answers my private message of "you need any plumbing fittings?" =)

Anyways, threw that canister in my van this morning, I'll be working in Coquitlam tomorrow so will drop by on the way home with it so you have more work to do! =)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Really nice Anthony, good job on the tanks :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm such a fan of cube tank! if i ever goto the dark side again thats the route i will be taking :) your cubes look excellent btw very nice aquascape!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i dont see my wrasses i sold you =(
My wrasse collection is split between all three reef tanks. You don't see half the fish in my tanks in these pics, especially the wrasses, Bangaiis and gobies & hawkfish. They're hiding in the rockwork.

The red wrasse is in the big tank and the yellow is in the 93g cube.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Definitely no shortage of wrasses, gobies and hawkfish lol Anthony great job buddy, glad it's all working out! Look forward to seeing them again now that it's all up and running! Love the new layouts in them as well. Looks like we overlooked hiding the overflow area on the big tank eh? Always a good time hanging out with you and a bit of a learning experience this time around...glad I was able to help out :) Wish I coulda stayed and helped finish. Definitely has me itching to cross over to the salty side lol I don't reckon the Red Sea tank will be in retirement very long ;)

JHJ ..Anthony is one of the most generous people I have met, a great person and an awesome friend....and a great cook too lol I don't think I have even been there and not been treated to a great meal, especially when he fires up the grills. As mentioned by Kevin...."Anthony does some mean BBQ'ing!"....kind of an understatement though lol and he's lucky Im not there every day :bigsmile: He's far too good to me when I help him out, not too mention I gain atleast 5 lbs by the time I leave lol This time I gained the Red Sea tank he shut down and don't think it will be empty very long :)

Thought I'd add a few pix as well, need to get some close-ups of your fish! You have so many cool things in those tanks.

my 2 favorite favorite fish from the big tank. The hard to see hawkfish in the upper left corner is cool too:

another fav, love the colors on this one.:

Anthony caught napping on the job:

Getting ready to cut his finger off:

Luckily he didn't get cut there, but he did manage to cut himself later with another tool. Weirdly the tool cut his finger better than it did the hose it was intended for lol

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
JHJ ..Anthony is one of the most generous people I have met, a great person and an awesome friend....and a great cook too lol I don't think I have even been there and not been treated to a great meal, especially when he fires up the grills. As mentioned by Kevin...."Anthony does some mean BBQ'ing!"....kind of an understatement though lol and he's lucky Im not there every day :bigsmile: He's far too good to me when I help him out, not too mention I gain atleast 5 lbs by the time I leave lol
It's awesome to see 2 friends working together to set up nice tanks! :) so are you getting a saltwater tank soon? :bigsmile:
Because of a family issue, we can no longer have BBQ at home so Anthony, don't be surprised if I show up with Chantal and Alicia at your house :lol: j/k ( I don't even know where you live though lol)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Love the marine betta in the first of John's pics. My favorite fish in his tank I think. And these tanks are almost solely responsible for me switching over to the salty side.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts