Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow aquarist.

After some prodding from some friends and family (Maureen, Frank, Lisa, Ming, Pat, Eliza, and my son Dakota), I finally have gotten my feet wet again. Thanks to Ming (jobber) who brought me a BNIB Eheim Aquastyle 4. It didn't take me long to start obsessing about a scape and 3 days later, I have a fully planted nano tank (thanks to Bien and April).

It has been hardscaped with Dragon stone and ADA Amazonia. I was thinking of adding a small tree (but was unable to find a 'tree' small enough). So far the plant list includes:

Blyxa japonica
Staurogyne repens
Staurogyne stolinifera or 'Porto Velho' (not 100% sure of the ID)
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Micranthemum umbrosum (turns out it's Hemianthus micranthemoides)
Anubias nana 'petite'
Hygrophila 'Araguaia'
Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'
Needle Leaf Java Fern

I added pressurized CO2 and a 10W heater today and hope to see some new growth soon. I'm not going to dose the tank with nutrients but I am buffering the water to offset the acidification of the water column by the Amazonia and CO2.

Other than that, it it a stock tank, light, and filter combo. This is the first time I have run such a system out of the box. I will have to wait for the tank to cycle before I add livestock. Without further adieu, here is a sneak peak.......

I hope that 'my friends' enjoy my previous passion of aquascaping.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankless in Vancouver

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Normal = Addicted to Pressurized CO2? Hmmmmm....

I'll take that as compliment.... Master Ray!

Best regards,

Stuart
Heh, not a master, just having fun! I've been off the forums for a little bit, not too sure why you shut down your tanks? because of your young child I'm guessing? Although I've only been over a few times, i really enjoyed looking at your planted aquariums. They were always well laid out and well kept!

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to see you back in the game. Amazing you planted the first seeds in the tank within such a quick turnaround time. The passion is back. Plant, dose, snip, clip, wc, replant, dose, clean some algae, feed fish, snip clip, wc,...
No dosing with the Amazonia for a long time. I'm slightly obsessive with it at the moment trying to dial in the CO2

oh where did you find the dragonstone locally?

I saw a bunch while i was in Toronto last year and next time I'm there I was thinking of bringing some back =p
I got the Dragon stone from a defunct Bonsai store many years ago

Welcome back buddy:)
It's good to be back!

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Quick update on the tank. Just did a water test for Ammonia and nitrite, ammonia is at 8 and nitrite is still undetectable. The Micranthemum umbrosum (turns out it's Hemianthus micranthemoides) seems to be growing now and the Staurogyne stolinifera/Porto Velho seems to have a bit of growth as well. I'm on day 3 with Seachem stability as well.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Your tank is gorgeous, Stuart! And, how could it be otherwise? You are creating a whole world in that lovely little tank. Your stones set off the plants perfectly. What does Dakota think of it? Did he help put in some plants? Are you teaching him how to measure ammonia? Is he watching the plants grow? Time for some bedtime books featuring fish!

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your tank is gorgeous, Stuart! And, how could it be otherwise? You are creating a whole world in that lovely little tank. Your stones set off the plants perfectly. What does Dakota think of it? Did he help put in some plants? Are you teaching him how to measure ammonia? Is he watching the plants grow? Time for some bedtime books featuring fish!
Thank you for your kind words. Dakota is enjoying it and at times getting his fingers wet. No test kits for him though, I'm afraid he might dump the reagents in the tank. He enjoys watching the tank even without fish.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Another quick update. Was cleaning the glass last night with a razor, nicked the suction cup on the diffuser, and the diffuser slid out of the tank. It then hit the wall and broke so I'm on the hunt for another micro diffuser (sorry Bien).

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
447 Posts
j and L aquatics have some small nano diffusers.They are plastic and work just as good as the glass ones.I think it was around $10 but I don't remember.Check out their website.Happy planting

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Oh I have 3 that are brand new that I don't use if you're interested. Was going to post it ff later on but didn't have a chance yet. They're glass boyu ones

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.