British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two rare Hound sharks in the Burnaby location soon to be for sale. These sharks appear to be Hemitriakis japanica but this is yet to be confirmed. They were traded in by a regular client who imported them from Japan himself. They were shipped as Japanese Leopard sharks but they are not known under this name. They are worth a look, a rare shark for sure.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Are those the ones in the coral tank with the net over it?
I saw them the other day while I was in there getting fish for my office bio cube.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Are they fast growers? I didn't take along look at them but are they male and female? But you are right. Like I stated in pm now that I think of it they don't look like leopards...they must be something else then....you are lucky though b/c if they were they would be very stressed out in a higher temp like that...they did not seem to stressed t me. What size of a tank did they come from..do you know?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are they fast growers? I didn't take along look at them but are they male and female? But you are right. Like I stated in pm now that I think of it they don't look like leopards...they must be something else then....you are lucky though b/c if they were they would be very stressed out in a higher temp like that...they did not seem to stressed t me. What size of a tank did they come from..do you know?
They came from a 1500 gallon aquarium. There is a chiller in that tank maintaining around 76 degrees.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These guys are likely ending up on a TV series set. IT is not final yet but it would be great to see these guys on this particular series, that's for sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Those sharks must be really expensive!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I saw them the other day, they are so cute. I would love to be able to have a tank to house sharks like that.

Speaking of sharks, are a few of the sharks in the big tank sick? I noticed they have really swollen jaws and tongues are protruding, are they ok?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they are fine. We supplement their diet with Iodine tablets and we have increased their dose. This is to control goiter, sharks consume a tremendous amount of Iodine in the wild and it can sometime be difficult to maintain in target feeding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts