British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it was suggested to go see Eric at Fish Addicts on getting restarted in the Africans.
Well, I went to see him & Eric & staff are pretty awesome. Previously, I have used the aqua 500's &'were very comfortable, & as we all know for filtration means bigger is better.
So Eric showed me the Fluval FX6, well after some google/ YouTube research, I bit the bullet. Wow, this thing is amazing & so simple to set up & operate.
Received my first order of a nice mix off my shopping list, & again Eric was very helpful getting it started.

But a big rookie mistake on my part, I forgot to have a airstone & we all know what happens. Lost a beautiful show blue neon & 10 juvies. Managed to save one show & 7 juvies. Costly mistake.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
did you cycle the tank before adding the fish? the fx6 should provide enough water movement and surface agitation on its own

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dwight I sent you a couple of PM's ... I have been investigating filtration for African tanks a lot and there a couple newer features I have discussed on other threads that I have been finding useful lately. The fish seem to like it too because breeding has been pretty successful.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Great project Dwight.

Personally instead of just airstones I have been using air-bleed power heads attached to simple DIY water polishers and/or sponge filters for water circulation + aeration + filtration.

I also run water circulators as well. I find my African Haps, Peacocks and recently Tropheus like swimming against the current ... I guess somewhere in their genetic memory it is if they are migrating from one part of the lake to the next.

If I can help out in anyway, send me a PM or text (604) 240-096two

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the air, they were lacking, totally my fault. Eric &'staff have been very good about it & helpful.

Yes, they are always getting huge shipments of fresh & salt. Once he gets the rest of the fish room set up, it will be an adventure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, tank was cycled, just not enough movement.
Once I got back home & added the air, the 3 remaining fish that I couldn't catch looked like they were goners. 15-25 minutes later, you couldn't catch them, they were back in the game.
Week & a half later, all fish are doing awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts