British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to owning an aquarium, so new all I have is the aquarium itself. I would like to make it into a salt water reef aquarium but, I would like some real feedback on the work involved. I am also seeking to purchase equipment to get it up and running (it's a 55 gallon).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Shantz,

I know absolutely nothing about saltwater set-ups so I can't offer any help...but I will say "welcome" :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome Shantz! I'm not a reefer myself either but I have been looking into setting one up in the near future. From what I've read, they require a loooooot of patience in the early stages. Cost can be an issue but there are members on this forum that have shown you can do low cost reef set ups that still look great. 55 gallons is a fairly good size of tank for a beginner. You won't be able to house a some of the larger fish but there are still quite a few beautiful species you could get. I'd probably also suggest you buy cheaper species at first because there is a lot that can go wrong with fish keeping and I'd say probably every single person on this forum has lost at least one fish!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Welcome to BCA!

I had a 29 and 10g reef set up at one point, it's a lot of fun but a bit daunting at first. Make sure you take your time like you're doing, don't rush anything, even the equipment before you pour salt water into the empty tank!

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
i had a saltwater tank for a few years and had many fish died- found out later the fish store's owners bought fish from fishermen who used drugs to catch the fish- i would try to make sure the fish were caught naturally and it should be good to go! Talk to fishstore staff re:info for salt fish tank set up/maintenance...and from this site- lots of know'e

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Welcome.............

I do have 2 reef tanks and the main thing you will need as well as equipment is patience, I would suggest a trip to J&L aquatics and talk to the staff there. Check out another forum called Canreef where you will find all kinds of reefers with lots of knowledge and are willing to share it. Best of luck to you and welcome.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Welcome to BCA!!

I currently keep African cichlids (freshwater) but I also hope to do a reef tank one day. There's lots to learn and it may seem overwhelming at first, but it will get easier once you understand how it all works and what each piece of equipment is actually doing to help your system. Salt water tanks can be expensive (from what I hear) but they are beautiful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts