British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello my friends!

This will be a journal of my new custom aquarium i'm getting built.

It will be a standard 75 Gallon Aquarium BUT

Tank:

-Rimless
-Will have Starphire Glass from viewing (here is an example of what the difference is http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/kyle1284/starphire.jpg starphire is on right )
-It will also have 4 3/4" bulkheads thread-thread. 2 on each side. On the left side it will connect to my Canister filter and inline heater. The right side will be connected to my Aquamedic 1000 diffusers which hooks up to my 10lb pressurized co2, also will be connected to my laguna powermax UV sterilizer which also connected to a PUMP.
-The bulkheads inside tank will be connected to Loc-Line

Light:
Fishneedit 4x54w T5

Stand:
AllGlass

Substrate:
Flourite Black (not the sand)

Plants:
Unknown at this point

Fish:
possibly apistogramma triple red

Keep tuned to updates! This will be a long journal

·
Registered
636 Posts
zomg. difference between the 2 sheets is dramatic :eek:

Looks like they really used thick pieces to highlight the difference. The left looks like coke bottle glass compared to starphire.

I'm such a rimless nut too. Please post by the second play-by-plays. This is already sounding heavy-duty!

What dimensions are you decided on? If it's ADA style (to match the possible stand) then are you thinking the 3:1 ratio?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Do a 75 gallon cube Shawn! Use the Tek t5 retrofits....that would look pretty cool. Can't wait to see this going. I have a project of my own that I will journal this summer and am looking for ideas to steal from other people since I'm not that creative. :D

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked to my buddy and the tank should be here on Monday! Ended up needing a EuroBrace which i kind of expected.

Also i picked up my stand last weekend, nice All Glass Black one.

I'll post some pictures this coming week.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think it will be worth it. I'm only getting the front viewing glass in starphire because of the cost.

Here is a pic of a 720 gal tank, ALL starphire.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I just did some research last night on the glass! But WOW, I didn't know the difference will be that noticeable!

·
Registered
752 Posts
something that beutiful would be in a main roomnot in a corner of the basement man i would watch that for hours i know when i went to anthonys just sat and watched his tanks. and yes is awsome starfire glass. sholtztom has a awsome 220 i think and is starfire verry nice tank

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The problem with most pics is that they only show the starphire tank. It would be more instructive to see one against a regular and both filled with water. I am not sure that I would see a difference, as the clarity is not different, it's the slight green tight. New tanks are all going to be clear.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what you mean though regarding the difference. I guess when i have it setup i will know for sure how much a difference it makes

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Yeah, they do compare well when not filled with water and plants and have the background painted black or blue. If I had to have the tank be visible from both all sides, and it was a show tank, no question, Starphire all the way. But I was just told that to do 2 panes of Starphire in a 30x30" cube is 50% more than a regular rimless glass tank. For that kind of premium, I'd really have to think about it. How much extra did your starphire glass cost you, if I may ask?

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made a deal with a buddy of mine so i didn't pay for it, unsure what the exact cost difference was. I agree with you that it's a premium and not necessary, i guess it's just the "new" thing going around lol. I wanted to try it out at least.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
mind I ask, why do i not see that green with my own tanks?
my empty 55gallon tank sitting in the living room... been staring at it... nope.. it's clear, not green! Why's that?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
That's because you have no reference. Put a white sheet of paper on one side and look through to the other and you'll see the tint. Plus with planted tanks, there is so much green already, I'm not sure you could tell. That's kind of the point I was making. Once everything is in, it's not as easy to tell.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thanks Gary!

But one of my other question is, is the glass any stronger than the regular? And how easily is it prone to being scratched?

Thanks =)

1 - 20 of 154 Posts