British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The suspense is over! We have received a bunch of Congo puffers, the Burnaby location has a 4" one in stock and both locations have little guys. We also received the Rope fish in perfect condition as well as African Pike. The Pike, Hepsetus odoe were a trial order but we were not disappointed! They went into our display but I held one back in Burnaby for the first lucky customer! They are approximately 7" and very healthy.

Finally a real tank buster! We have received a first for me. We have 5 juvenile Nile Perch Lates niloticus. For those not familiar, these bad boys can reach 200 KGS and over 6 feet long!!!!!:eek: Clearly a fish for monster tanks only!

See photos below.....

African Pike

Congo Puffer

·
Registered
516 Posts
Does your staff question the people who want to buy those Nile perch? Hopefully they don't sell them to just anyone. You said in another post you won't bring in RTG unless it is a special request, were these a special request?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does your staff question the people who want to buy those Nile perch? Hopefully they don't sell them to just anyone. You said in another post you won't bring in RTG unless it is a special request, were these a special request?
These were not a special request. We brought them in mainly for our large display and a few for customers who have large tanks. These fish are already 6" and will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Because they are active, they will never get full size in a home aquarium. All of my staff are aware of the size they attain. They are also $140.00, and lets face it, no color. This fish will warrant questions by any customer before purchasing. We also tag the fish with a cautionary label noting it's potential size as we do for all potential tank busters.
Thanks for your concern. Keep in mind that we are probably the only Western Canada stores that have a size warning on ID sharks, a fish we rarely import anyways.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Growing up in Manitoba, I used to fish for pike, most of them ended up as dinner.

Steve
Well, get some Nile perch then. :p They use them for dinner in Africa. Lake Victoria has been cursed with them eating up all the indigenous fishes. I believe they were originally introduced as food fishes and they just took over the entire food chain because they had no natural enemies and are voracious eaters and fast growers. These are way more fish than even the RTC and the Arapaimas. The one in Grant's pic is about the average size they were hauling out of the lake when my ferry landed. :eek:

Edit: Just grow them out to about 4 feet and then honey, I got dinner in the tank!!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To add to my point further, how many hobbyists would buy a $140.00 brown fish without knowing a little about it or asking questions? An RTC for example is beautiful when young, an easy mistake for a new hobbyist to make. Sorry if I am going on a bit but that post by Longimanus threw me. We do every thing possible to educate our customers, also because of our selection we attract many advanced hobbyists who know better. It is after all my choice to import whatever I like, the choice to be responsible is also mine and as many on this site know, I am.:)

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Good on you Grant. I figured you guys wouldn't let these go without screening the customers. They're actually no less of a nuisance than common plecos and Gibbiceps which have plagued Florida. But if you have a good sized aquarium for those, they're pretty cool fish. I had a Gibbiceps for a while, but because of the fighting with my cichlids and destruction of my planted aquascapes (much more than my cichlids did), I put it up for adoption and it's now living with a nice Aro in a huge tank.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
To add to my point further, how many hobbyists would buy a $140.00 brown fish without knowing a little about it or asking questions? An RTC for example is beautiful when young, an easy mistake for a new hobbyist to make. Sorry if I am going on a bit but that post by Longimanus threw me. We do every thing possible to educate our customers, also because of our selection we attract many advanced hobbyists who know better. It is after all my choice to import whatever I like, the choice to be responsible is also mine and as many on this site know, I am.:)
not to mention that you take in all those tank buster rtcs from the owners that cant house them ? or just dont want them anymore ..:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts